Portland 21st June

Southern Bluefin Tuna, Kingies, Marlin and other game fish.
Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Portland 21st June

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:52 am

After fixing a jammed boat winch, launched around 8 am and headed towards Cape Bridgewater. The last few days the northerlies had made it a little choppy with white tail mares on the waves. Todays forecast was for a rough swell between 2-3 metres.

Headed towards the rock at about 12-14knots, any faster and I'd loose my false teeth. Once around the rock we headed out deeper to 100 metres and then started trolling towards Cape Bridgewater, looking for signs of bird activity. The birds were few and far between and there were only three trailer boats that we saw on the water.

Having trolled along the 100-70 metres, with zilch on the sounder, no bait balls at all and no bird activity, we headed in shallower to 30 metres and trolled along that line for a bit, Being shallow meant not only was the swell larger, but the waves were bouncing back off the cliffs, making it a little confused.

This was were the charters guys said that they were bagging out the weekend just gone, but sadly we were catching zilch but the scenery was impressive and after a while headed back out to 90 metres and back toward Portland, eventually pulling the pin at 1400 hours.

Of side interest is that there a warm current pushing from the west, the water temp in Portland bay was around 15 degrees and out at 100 metres it got as high as 16.8 degree's.

Born2fish

Re: Portland 21st June

Post by Born2fish » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:31 am

Yep its a bad year this year glad i got my solid fish just before start of season

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:36 am

Bad luck wolly it sure is impressive scenery the cliffs along the shore there

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:40 pm

better luck next time mate. Didn't think about heading to the shelf?

Anth

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:29 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:better luck next time mate. Didn't think about heading to the shelf?

Anth
The shelf is going to happen, and I will be giving Port Campbell ago, when conditions allow.

I would like to get the fuel flow sensor added to my sounder first, but it might happen at a later date. I do have 2 10 litre jerry cans to take with me, if I go to the shelf. I estimate I'd probably run out of fuel on the way back at Lawrance rock or the break wall.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:12 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:better luck next time mate. Didn't think about heading to the shelf?

Anth
The shelf is going to happen, and I will be giving Port Campbell ago, when conditions allow.

I would like to get the fuel flow sensor added to my sounder first, but it might happen at a later date. I do have 2 10 litre jerry cans to take with me, if I go to the shelf. I estimate I'd probably run out of fuel on the way back at Lawrance rock or the break wall.
How much is your main tank.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:38 pm

rb85 wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:

Anth

How much is your main tank.
70 litres with a 140 4 stroke Suzie.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:57 pm

Not a lot of capacity considering the size of the motor.

stesslmatt

Post by stesslmatt » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:00 pm

Hi Wooly
I'm in a 610 Crusher with 140 zuk and tank holds 150l I think. When I do the shoe/shelf I take 2 x 20 litre jerrys, never had to use one but come back and have used 120-130lin a trip in big wether, full day trolling and running at 4000rpm in and out to the shoe. I take the jerrys mainly for safety but would rather donate fuel to someone who ahs run out then tow them in. I find I can easily do 200ks on the water on a shelf day and 130-150 on a 100m depth line day

Matt

Feathor

Post by Feathor » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:48 pm

Have to agree about a poor start to the season. Maybe the seasons are changing as there were more tuna caught earlier in the year.
Well done for getting out and giving it a shot.

Return to “Game Fishing”