Portland 21st June

Southern Bluefin Tuna, Kingies, Marlin and other game fish.
Blueyed1
Has liked: 5 times

Re: Portland 21st June

Post by Blueyed1 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:06 am

stesslmatt wrote:Hi Wooly
I'm in a 610 Crusher with 140 zuk and tank holds 150l I think. When I do the shoe/shelf I take 2 x 20 litre jerrys, never had to use one but come back and have used 120-130lin a trip in big wether, full day trolling and running at 4000rpm in and out to the shoe. I take the jerrys mainly for safety but would rather donate fuel to someone who ahs run out then tow them in. I find I can easily do 200ks on the water on a shelf day and 130-150 on a 100m depth line day

Matt
Bit similar to my 150 Hp Honda driving the Haines Hunter 600 Classic. I have a 210 litre tank and plan 1/3 rd fuel there, 1/3rd back and 1/3 rd spare. Most trips to shelf are 130 litres or so. When I had the Streaker 5.85 Tournament with a 150hp two stroke Yamaha i would use about 250 to 270 litres. It would hurt the pocket and I had to carry 4 spare 20 litre tanks with clip on attachment and a gate valve to the fuel line as I hated to transfer fuel into main tank...

Joe

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:51 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
rb85 wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:better luck next time mate. Didn't think about heading to the shelf?

Anth
The shelf is going to happen, and I will be giving Port Campbell ago, when conditions allow.

I would like to get the fuel flow sensor added to my sounder first, but it might happen at a later date. I do have 2 10 litre jerry cans to take with me, if I go to the shelf. I estimate I'd probably run out of fuel on the way back at Lawrance rock or the break wall.
How much is your main tank.
70 litres with a 140 4 stroke Suzie.
I reckon next thing on the list of things to do should be a larger fuel tank. You need at least 150L if you're planning on bigger offshore trips.

Anth

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:24 pm

Feathor wrote:Have to agree about a poor start to the season. Maybe the seasons are changing as there were more tuna caught earlier in the year.
Well done for getting out and giving it a shot.
I believe Port Mac is on fire, but won't get there until next week.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:59 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
Feathor wrote:Have to agree about a poor start to the season. Maybe the seasons are changing as there were more tuna caught earlier in the year.

Port Mac, was like you should have been here yesterday. The chatter on the radio with one bloke saying he was in the spot where he caught 24 tuna yesterday and on this day he didn't even turn a reel.

Well fishing continues to be hard in Portland, the bins may have a half a dozen tuna. One charter guy gave me a ribbing about there being more to tuna fishing that just towing lures around. Well he came back this afternoon with one fish and from what I understand the other charter boats drew a blank.

Heard of one boat that headed to the shelf and managed to score a few fish during the week, bagging out and being back by 1400hours. Might launch tomorrow and give it ago.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:16 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:

Port Mac, was like you should have been here yesterday. The chatter on the radio with one bloke saying he was in the spot where he caught 24 tuna yesterday and on this day he didn't even turn a reel.

Well fishing continues to be hard in Portland, the bins may have a half a dozen tuna. One charter guy gave me a ribbing about there being more to tuna fishing that just towing lures around. Well he came back this afternoon with one fish and from what I understand the other charter boats drew a blank.

Heard of one boat that headed to the shelf and managed to score a few fish during the week, bagging out and being back by 1400hours. Might launch tomorrow and give it ago.
Why on earth would they give someone a ribbing? No matter how successful someone is at fishing its still just fishing.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:21 pm

rb85 wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:

Why on earth would they give someone a ribbing? No matter how successful someone is at fishing its still just fishing.
I had a smirk on my face when he caught only one for the whole day. Then he said you don't catch them on the couch, but today was doing a little maintenance that has been neglected, plus I have my two dogs with me, they are 12 months old, so are still pretty demanding.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:25 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:
rb85 wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:

I had a smirk on my face when he caught only one for the whole day. Then he said you don't catch them on the couch, but today was doing a little maintenance that has been neglected, plus I have my two dogs with me, they are 12 months old, so are still pretty demanding.
Good stuff do you take the dogs fishing?

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:58 pm

rb85 wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:
rb85 wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:

Good stuff do you take the dogs fishing?
I have taken them out with me on the boat, but the two of them are a little bit of a hand full and I don't have eyes in the back of my head.

This is what happened about a fortnight ago

You know, those "Heart Stopping" moments, I don't mean just any old heart stopping moment, but the Heart Stopping moment when your heart not only stops, but jumps into your throat as well.

Took Ghost out in the boat with me, for a bit of a shake down. Every time I looked he was either under my feet of watching the rods for me.
It was the end of the day, wound the lures in, and took off, after about 15 mins, I turned around to see how Ghost was going. Only one problem he was not where I last saw him.

A quick scan of the boat and there was no dog. My heart stopped and jumped in my mouth and I wondered what my chances were of finding him. Even the orange buoys used to cray pots can be hard to see.

I turned the boat around, wishing I had another set of eyes, so I cruised back roughly the way I had come. Panic was setting in and I wondered what his chances were to make it to shore If I didn't find him.

I scanned the seas hoping to sight his head bobbing amongst the waves, then something made me take a closer look in the Cabin and here he was curled up nice and snug.

I didn't know wether to murder him then and there or give hime a big hug.

Return to “Game Fishing”