Tuna Time

Southern Bluefin Tuna, Kingies, Marlin and other game fish.
angus1701w

Tuna Time

Post by angus1701w » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:24 pm

Looking to head out in the next couple of weeks towards port fairy and portland way. Any tips on where the fish are and what will be needed to hook up to these pelagics? I have a Whitley 6.1 metre walk around with a suzuki 175 but need to buy some bigger outfits for tuna and sharks. Any information on what outfits are out there and what lures to pair with them for the tuna.
Cheers

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Tuna Time

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:17 am

angus1701w wrote:Looking to head out in the next couple of weeks towards port fairy and portland way. Any tips on where the fish are and what will be needed to hook up to these pelagics? I have a Whitley 6.1 metre walk around with a suzuki 175 but need to buy some bigger outfits for tuna and sharks. Any information on what outfits are out there and what lures to pair with them for the tuna.
Cheers
Read the below links

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=18190

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=16183

Out fits?

I have two Shimano 30 w and two 50 w reels with 24kg mono other reels you can look at are Penn Internationals, Okuma,
Two fully rollered rods and two Nitro Gulf Streams, modified with roller tips and roller stripper.

Don't forget a black magic equalier harness.

Lures, there are Ritcher, Black Magic, Pakula, Black Pete, Finn Nor and Rapala

Tips about where the fish are?

Consider the fact that tuna can move on average 20 nm a day, so where they were one day, does not mean that they will be there the next. Now If I could afford it I'd hire a spotter plane.

So the next way would be to read the fishing reports.

On the water looking for bird activity, such Garnets diving.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:38 am

If you're looking for an affordable but decent big reel you might want to look into a Penn squall 50vsw.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:44 am

For the large bulk of fish you're likely to catch, a tld 20-25 on a 15kg rod is perfectly adequate. You'll struggle to land a barrel on this gear, but how many barrels are you going to hook up.?
Lure wise, After our trip, I'd strongly suggest you stick a rapala xrap 30 on the short corner, we landed 5 fish on a green mackeral coloured model of this lure, and lost a big fish on a blue mackeral version.

nmgar

Post by nmgar » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:05 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:Consider the fact that tuna can move on average 20 nm a day, so where they were one day, does not mean that they will be there the next. Now If I could afford it I'd hire a spotter plane.
I've never been tuna fishing but I have an idle question; does anyone use a drone for spotting purposes?
Cheers,
Neil

tropicalfisher

Post by tropicalfisher » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:21 am

nmgar wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:Consider the fact that tuna can move on average 20 nm a day, so where they were one day, does not mean that they will be there the next. Now If I could afford it I'd hire a spotter plane.
I've never been tuna fishing but I have an idle question; does anyone use a drone for spotting purposes?
Not a bad idea, but unlike on land, if wind conditions or a dead battery get the best of your drone it's game over. I don't know much about drones but I feel that the range required to transmit a high-quality live video might be limited, as opposed to drone a drone which has a memory card in it and so can fly off on its own. Of course, a memory card drone's video could only be viewed afterwards, and so would have limited usefulness.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:53 pm

Spoke to 3 blokes who fished off of Cape Nelson, they hooked 3 fish, but were busted off by two others, they said the line just broke.

ChrisAbout

Post by ChrisAbout » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:55 pm

There is tuna everywhere, except where you are on the day!

Born2fish

Post by Born2fish » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:04 pm

ChrisAbout wrote:There is tuna everywhere, except where you are on the day!
Correct mate never read in to reports to much especially the charter guys they rev it up to get clients i know a few in the know and by all reports its a very slow year ive done 3 trips this year for 1 doughnut i know heaps that have done 10 + trips and only caught on two trips its a bit like this snapper this year is a late start hopefully they pick up in next couple weeks

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:51 pm

Born2fish wrote:
ChrisAbout wrote:There is tuna everywhere, except where you are on the day!
Correct mate never read in to reports to much especially the charter guys they rev it up to get clients i know a few in the know and by all reports its a very slow year ive done 3 trips this year for 1 doughnut i know heaps that have done 10 + trips and only caught on two trips its a bit like this snapper this year is a late start hopefully they pick up in next couple weeks
the bins only had about 10 tuna in them today.

Return to “Game Fishing”