Game Fishing Equipment - What do you use?

Southern Bluefin Tuna, Kingies, Marlin and other game fish.
frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: Game Fishing Equipment - What do you use?

Post by frozenpod » Thu May 11, 2017 8:30 am

4liters wrote: The guides on the rods I have in mind are ARA (or something) rollers, and the budget option has aluminium oxide fixed guides and a roller tip. Sounds like the fully rollered rod will be the way to go.
Aluminum oxide guided are supposed to be very good too.

I think I miss understood your previous question.

I have pac bay and afco rollers.

Both are good but keep in mind both brands have a range of products. ie the low end pac bay that comes with rods like backbone ellite ect are rubbish.

The top spec pac bay are very good.

For tuna I would not use rollers except for the rod tip. Tuna are not as fast as marlin so it is less of an issue.

Rollers need a lot of maintenance and as per skypes post the risk of line getting trap down the side of a roller is very real.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu May 11, 2017 9:26 am

cobby wrote:Pod said it all. When you're talking super fast speeds with lots of line heading out, those little drag stacks in spin reels ain't going to cut it in the end due to the heat, let alone 500m+ of line on the reel. They're fine for majority of the fish caught down there with some dead arms afterwards though.

If I was geared up and into it, I'd have 2 x tiagra 50wlrsa on 37kg rods for swords/barrels. 3 x tiagra 30wlrsa on 24kg rods for barrels/school fish and sharks and 1 x tiagra 20 on a 15kg rod for school fish and sharks. If money happened to be a problem I'd drop the 50s and 20 to tyrnos 2 speeds but keep the 30wlrsa tiagras.
frozenpod wrote:
purple5ive wrote:So. Having read some.of the comments here and only just recently getting into game fishing. Can i ask if most people prefer a overhead to spinning gear..
I can see that the iverheads are able to be leaned over the gunwale and sort of use the boat as a resting platform to gain some breaths back.... not possible obviously with spinning gear due to the line hitting the boat....
Overheads by a very clear margin.

Overheads are simpler stronger and have by far better drags (a lot more heat capacity). Not mention equivalent egg beaters are much more expensive.

Overheads work much better with a harness as you clip the harness on to the reel so no need to hold onto the rod.

I have a Daiwa Saltiga brilliant bit of gear (super expensive around $1200) amazing engineering perfect for casing big stick baits, popper for GTs.

Whilst I just had to buy one to pull it apart and enjoy the amazing engineering I wouldn't buy one or recommend one for Marlin and Tuna.

I have used it for small Marlin and Tuna with livies but it isn't comparable to a Tiagra 50WLRS which is around half the price.

Thanks guys,
Im useless with overheads , mainly in terms of winding the line in level when pressure is on (aka playing fish) I noticed others are also tending to do it as well and not just me.
In terms of the Daiwa BG I have purchased, they already have carbon drag, not that its going to save my a$$ but better than felt nonetheless for wear and heat related issues.
The one I want to use for trolling has 500m of 50lb braid on it, so hopefully should hold up to some reasonably sized fish. The stickbait is a baby reel of 4000 and will mostly get creamed if a bigger fish decides to get onto it…
Not so much as to derail this thread. But would a shorter rod for trolling benefit me rather than the 7 foot kingmack. More so a 6 footer or even shorter??
Thanks

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:49 am

Shorter is better on boats.
If your trying land based 7foot is ok

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu May 11, 2017 9:53 am

Boat mate, landbased game fishing isnt for me

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Thu May 11, 2017 10:12 am

5 ft rods are common for stand up game fishing on boats.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu May 11, 2017 10:59 am

frozenpod wrote:
4liters wrote: The guides on the rods I have in mind are ARA (or something) rollers, and the budget option has aluminium oxide fixed guides and a roller tip. Sounds like the fully rollered rod will be the way to go.
Aluminum oxide guided are supposed to be very good too.

I think I miss understood your previous question.

I have pac bay and afco rollers.

Both are good but keep in mind both brands have a range of products. ie the low end pac bay that comes with rods like backbone ellite ect are rubbish.

The top spec pac bay are very good.

For tuna I would not use rollers except for the rod tip. Tuna are not as fast as marlin so it is less of an issue.

Rollers need a lot of maintenance and as per skypes post the risk of line getting trap down the side of a roller is very real.
I've had a look and it's a choice of fully rollered with aftco guides or Fuji hardloy hg guides with an aftco roller tip. It's a fin nor offshore standup 24kg, they come in the two configurations.

From what you're saying it sounds like the roller tip is the way to go, this rod may well get used for landbased sharking so less rollers to get sand in them could be an advantage. It'll also save a decent chunk of money compared to the fully rollered version.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Thu May 11, 2017 11:05 am

Fuji guides are great I have used them on many rods although not that specific material.

Find out which roller tip as per above there are different models from each brand.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Thu May 11, 2017 11:20 am

frozenpod wrote:Fuji guides are great I have used them on many rods although not that specific material.

Find out which roller tip as per above there are different models from each brand.
Fuji or alps, both good stuff.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu May 11, 2017 12:29 pm

frozenpod wrote:Fuji guides are great I have used them on many rods although not that specific material.

Looks like the 'standard' black size 14 aftco roller tip.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu May 11, 2017 1:17 pm

purple5ive wrote:Boat mate, landbased game fishing isnt for me
I got a 5 foot 6. 15 to 24 kg jigging game rod or a 5 foot shimano 24kg game rod if you want to try it out for me.

Return to “Game Fishing”