Game Fishing Equipment - What do you use?

Southern Bluefin Tuna, Kingies, Marlin and other game fish.
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Game Fishing Equipment - What do you use?

Post by purple5ive » Thu May 11, 2017 1:41 pm

smile0784 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:Boat mate, landbased game fishing isnt for me
I got a 5 foot 6. 15 to 24 kg jigging game rod or a 5 foot shimano 24kg game rod if you want to try it out for me.
Thanks mate, let you know if ill need it, they spinning outfits?? i only have spinning reels

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu May 11, 2017 1:45 pm

They are over heads but can be used at threadline rods.
They dont have rollers so cat be used at both.
You just cant make threadline rods into overheads

ncr1

Post by ncr1 » Thu May 11, 2017 5:01 pm

I've just added a piece on the other thread on fighting SBT and the potential pitfalls of using lower quality reels. My next post will be covering rod choice - a favourite subject of mine since I've been an amateur rodbuilder in the past. So hopefully I can clarify and/or contribute to this particular discussion once it's written and posted.

In the meantime, in regards to the heavy fixed guides, the good ones are generally made by Fuji (although many other brands are catching up in quality). They offer (or used to offer) 4 different insert types. Quality and price of each type of insert is determined by the relative hardness of the substance and subsequently the amount (or lack) of friction that is imparted onto the line. In order of the lowest to highest quality, the Fuji inserts available are aluminium oxide, hardloy (no longer sold), silicon nitride II (SiN) and silicone carbide (SiC).

I believe that it would take a fight with a big, big fish to be able to realise any advantage between the relative quality of these guide types, as well as roller guides for that matter. Personally, I would find it unlikely that the differences in quality between these guides would offer any meaningful advantage when fighting with any tuna below a 5:1 fish weight/line class ratio (e.g. less than a 120kg SBT on 24kg line, or a 40kg on 8kg line). However, when things really start getting serious, say a fight with a 10:1 ratio, then the advantages of the better guide types are much more likely to shine through. But I'll cover my reasons why in my next post.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu May 11, 2017 6:46 pm

Sweet thanks for that. El cheapo (comparatively speaking) guides it is!

I have to say, the quality and detail of the information being put forward here has been absolutely top shelf and I'm sure I speak for everyone reading the thread when I offer a big thank you to everyone who has contributed. It's a fairly expensive style of fishing so any advice that helps people like me choose the right gear is greatly appreciated.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Game Fishing”