Peter Pakula

Southern Bluefin Tuna, Kingies, Marlin and other game fish.
Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Peter Pakula

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:07 pm

On easter Saturday evening Peter Pakula gave an interesting talk on catching the Southern Blue Fin Tuna, and the gear to be used and trolling, so it ended up that I have to unlearn a lot of things that I have learnt in the past.

Rods, he suggested using fully rollered rods. He also showed how to battle the barrels.

He rigs his lures differently using wire from back of the head of the lure to the hook, with a ball bearing swivel and heat shrink. Each size in the lure skirt has a maximum leader strength.

He showed how the leader will leave a bubble trail under the water, and fish will attack this thinking that there are bait fish, and this is the reasons why abrasions happen further up the leader.

The speed over water should be 6.5 ks per hour and it pays to know the direction of the current and troll down current in a zig zag pattern.

The Lure spread should be the largest and black closest to the boat, the next lure should be blue. the next lure (short rigger or short winger) should be green.

He had a new fish attractor to use behind trailer boats, and that lightening attracting carbon poles for the out riggers, that should be the length of the boat.

Other useful information, water temperature, chlorophyl, current and water height or altitude. Apparently where the water is at its highest is were the fish should be.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Re: Peter Pakula

Post by Fish-cador » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:42 pm

Chlorophyll? How is it related to tuna?

Water seeks its own level. How can some places have higher water?

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:41 pm

That's really interesting wolly. Need to get to one of these talks.

Have definitely had leaders abraded up near the crimp. Always wondered how it happened.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:51 pm

Fish-cador wrote:Chlorophyll? How is it related to tuna?

Water seeks its own level. How can some places have higher water?
My best guess is that it has a bit to do with air pressure, areas of high pressure apply pressure to the water lowering the level, the moon and tides play a part as well as the wind.

On wind blown lakes the water level is lower on the lee shore. (don't quote me, as I may be wrong)

http://www.bom.gov.au/oceanography/proj ... ndex.shtml

Chlorophyll is what plants produce to manufacture their energy, so sea algae would be in higher concentrations in certain areas, this then will attract the food chain.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:05 pm

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:08 am

I bought a dredge bar teaser and found that at 6 knots, there wasn't enough weight to keep it down, so I trialled an idea and added a jet diver to the front and it worked a treat.

The jet diver works like a paravane, except the buoyant when the water pressure stops, I also have some dipsy divers to use as well.

Delirium
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Delirium » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:58 am

Good info there Wolly.....will bank some of that.

Return to “Game Fishing”