What are the cons of using surf reels for game fishing?

Southern Bluefin Tuna, Kingies, Marlin and other game fish.
efendy

What are the cons of using surf reels for game fishing?

Post by efendy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:24 am

I have been daydreaming about buying a 6+ metre boat and going offshore for tuna/kingie fishing :rofl:

I do a lot of surf fishing and have a number of reels such as Baitrunner Long Cast XTA, Ultegra CI4+ 5500 XTB and a couple of daiwa emcast plus. all with power pro braid 50 pound in all of them, 300 metres or more in each. All of them have 15kg drag.

So my question is, while this dream is at least a couple of years away and need to spend big bucks on the boat, can I pair these reels with appropriate rods for game fishing? apart from being big and heavy what are the cons? is it possible at all?

Also, before buying the boat I might tag along with somebody who owns a boat and can try my reels and would buy some rods in the process!

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: What are the cons of using surf reels for game fishing?

Post by hornet » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:09 am

Depends on what size game fish your after, In NSW I've caught medium size kings and tuna on snapper gear, up size tackle for the bigger stuff.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:16 am

If you are using Stella's as surf reels, there is nothing wrong with using them as game reels. :o_0: :o_0:

I also have some Saltists that certain fishing show hosts have used on GT's I think it was.

efendy

Post by efendy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:20 pm

hornet wrote:Depends on what size game fish your after, In NSW I've caught medium size kings and tuna on snapper gear, up size tackle for the bigger stuff.
I have a few shimano 4000 size reels. I guess they would do the job for medium size fish.

I am lacking in the rod department though as they are all long rods due to being a land based fisho.

efendy

Post by efendy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:26 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:If you are using Stella's as surf reels, there is nothing wrong with using them as game reels. :o_0: :o_0:

I also have some Saltists that certain fishing show hosts have used on GT's I think it was.
Lol, I wish but it's all because of that 20kg+ silver I've been chasing in Robe every year to no avail (yet) :down:

Those saltists are great reels :thumbsup:

mr plow

Post by mr plow » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:14 pm

i have 2 saltist rods im goin to sell. used once $60 each if u want

efendy

Post by efendy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:19 pm

mr plow wrote:i have 2 saltist rods im goin to sell. used once $60 each if u want
what sort of rods are they? model number? I might be interested even though I can't go fishing until September-October.

mr plow

Post by mr plow » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:28 pm

will check when i get home

efendy

Post by efendy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:32 pm

mr plow wrote:will check when i get home
Yep, sounds good.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:34 pm

efendy wrote:I have been daydreaming about buying a 6+ metre boat and going offshore for tuna/kingie fishing :rofl:

I do a lot of surf fishing and have a number of reels such as Baitrunner Long Cast XTA, Ultegra CI4+ 5500 XTB and a couple of daiwa emcast plus. all with power pro braid 50 pound in all of them, 300 metres or more in each. All of them have 15kg drag.

So my question is, while this dream is at least a couple of years away and need to spend big bucks on the boat, can I pair these reels with appropriate rods for game fishing? apart from being big and heavy what are the cons? is it possible at all?

Also, before buying the boat I might tag along with somebody who owns a boat and can try my reels and would buy some rods in the process!
a bit off the topic what do you think of the baitrunner Long Cast XTA compared to the Daiwa Emcast Plus thanks Dazz

Return to “Game Fishing”