What are the cons of using surf reels for game fishing?

Southern Bluefin Tuna, Kingies, Marlin and other game fish.
smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: What are the cons of using surf reels for game fishing?

Post by smile0784 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:17 pm

Paulanderson wrote:If you are going to target large game fish, particularly over the shelf, you need a lot more than 300 m of line. You would be amazed just how quickly a Marlin or a big Yellowfin will take line off the reel. Smaller Tuna and Kings should be fine on your tackle.
Have to look at your drag washes too.they mite burn out on a massive run where you first hook up

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:21 pm

I picked up shimano tld 30 and trilling triton 30 on ebay good second hand for $80 each. Put 800mt of 50lb braid and use them for everything big game. Caught a few yellowfin upto 40kg years ago and hooked a marlin but lost it
Just got to be able to get lines in and chase with the boat if you hook something bigger.

efendy

Post by efendy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:34 pm

cobby wrote: The only thing you missed is torque. A lower ratio offers more torque which is less crank effort for the same amount of line retrieved. It's why 2 speed overhead game reels have a 1:1 or close enough to it low ratio and their high speed is very rarely above 4:1. Example being a Shimano Tiagra 30wlrsa is 3.9:1 high and 1.7:1 low. Also a 20k Stella only offers 4.4:1, a 4k is 6.2:1

In the light of all this info, is it safe to say the reels I want to use are actually OK for this purpose as they offer average 100cm per crank which is same as a 10K Stella?

efendy

Post by efendy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:38 pm

smile0784 wrote:I picked up shimano tld 30 and trilling triton 30 on ebay good second hand for $80 each. Put 800mt of 50lb braid and use them for everything big game. Caught a few yellowfin upto 40kg years ago and hooked a marlin but lost it
Just got to be able to get lines in and chase with the boat if you hook something bigger.
Makes sense.
I will add more reels into my repertoire by time and overhead reels provide advantage in terms of line capacity and speed/torque adjustment as Cobby pointed out.
Cheers

Return to “Game Fishing”