Bermagui report

Southern Bluefin Tuna, Kingies, Marlin and other game fish.
scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Bermagui report

Post by scott__henning » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:17 pm

Got up to bermi for a week, unfortunately the extended family well all coming too (never again).

Not only could I only marlin fish in small bursts, I had useless and easily distracted crew for the week.

Regardless, here's a quick report for the week:

Saturday:
Just dad and I, towed the boat up and launched around midday. Get out to find the radio isn't working, bugger!
In short, was a pretty ordinary day with wind, rain and no fish.

Sunday:
Myself, dad, my uncle and my cousin all headed out to Montague as they all wanted a kingfish. Plenty about, we had some fun on jigs but not monster, we got a few just size though.
I convinced the crew that we needed to troll home via the kink for a marlin, and luckily it was all happening out there. We spotted a free swimmer, I tossed a livie at him and he immediacy swallowed it. Dad was on the rod, he was a bit too excited and too quick on the drag, we lost the marlin after just a few minutes and a few jumps.

Monday:
The entire family was out on a charter, to spread my grandfathers ashes at Montague island. Plenty of kingfish again, that was basically the day and a bit of fun.

Tuesday:
With dad yet to tag his first marlin, I was determined to make it happen. We pushed north all morning with nothing to show for it. No bait, no boats, green water. Around 3.30 I said enough is enough, and pulled the lines in and punched south from Tuross to the baithole to find a heap of boats and plenty of action. I began marking up fish everywhere, and got the livies in the water. I looked down at the sounder to see at least 8 marlin under the boat, and seconds later the longer livie got smashed. Dad was on. But at least 2 more marlin showed up behind the boat, so I tossed another livie in for the double hookup, but unfortunatly didn't stay connected for more than a minute. 2h 10m later dad tagged his first marlin, despite trying to lose it first under the boat, and second around the prop. I had to strip 90m of shredded line off the reel that night, no idea how we landed that fish. Got back to the ramp at last light.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Wednesday:
Another stuff around day at Montague for kings nothing about at all completely shut down.

Thursday:
Just dad and I again, big day for marlin it was my turn. A very quiet morning, with barely a fish seen between all the boats around us. Around 2pm however all the bait came up and it was action stations. We marked a fish and again, immediately had a livie get taken at the back of the boat, this time an est 80kg black. I had him knocked over in 20 minutes and up beside the boat, but I was halfway through putting the trace gloves on (dad has no experience leadering a lively marlin) when he decided to change direction and somehow the circle hook pulled. Ahh well.

All in all finally got the monkey off dads back, but it was a reasonably frustrating trip as the marlin were biting pretty well.

Lucky I'm back up again next weekend.

deathray
Has liked: 8 times

Re: Bermagui report

Post by deathray » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:38 pm

Brilliant colours in that shot. Your a bloody action man mate.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:09 pm

Nice fish the old man must be stocked pity about losing that one today

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:14 am

nice fish and good report Scott, cheers davo :a_goodjob:
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:01 am

Great report mate. Nice pics :thumbsup:

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:34 am

well done mate, maybe i should go to eden or bermi for my first kingfish loll.
good luck next weekend, i wish i could go fishing like you do .
cheers

Delirium
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Delirium » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:01 am

scott__henning wrote:unfortunately the extended family well all coming too (never again).
:rofl: Hope none of them are members here

Awesome result though. Very jealous!!!!! :r

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:12 am

Congratulations to your Dad on catching his first marlin and your so fortunate that you can provide him with that experience. :cheers:
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:32 am

Great fish and what a picture that is!
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Return to “Game Fishing”