Could use some help - Kingfish in PPB.

Southern Bluefin Tuna, Kingies, Marlin and other game fish.
ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: Could use some help - Kingfish in PPB.

Post by ducky » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:17 pm

Listen to cobby.

AVG_Fisho

Post by AVG_Fisho » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:22 pm

ducky wrote:Listen to cobby.
I'm not arguing with cobby, im trying to see exactly what i can get away with, as i have no idea and im new to this. :thumbsup:
Average Angling Adventures
With Specialty Fishing Products
http://www.facebook.com/average.angling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ducky

Post by ducky » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:23 pm

I meant don't let my opinion make the difference between whether you target them or not.

Better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all. Lol

AVG_Fisho

Post by AVG_Fisho » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:25 pm

Scraglor wrote:You can currently get Penn Spinfisher 750 SSW combos for about $120 at a few different places. I picked one up to try out hauling big sinkers in WP. No idea if they are any good for Kingies, but they are paired too a 6-10kg Penn rod.

I havent used it yet, but it feels like a bloody fish winch compared too my 2500 and 4000 sized reels. Also, I was on a boat with someone that basically skull dragged a reasonable sized eagle ray to the top on one about two weeks ago. he had to let it run after it decided to do some acrobatics and decided it wanted to go back down, but I would imagine it would handle rat kings ok.
I've got a spinfisher ssm 850 and a 15kg spinfisher rod. i might just use that, i just wanted to push the limits and go as light as i can. :) :) :)
http://www.facebook.com/average.angling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ducky

Post by ducky » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:30 pm

Push the limits after you've experienced. Not before.

AVG_Fisho

Post by AVG_Fisho » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:35 pm

ducky wrote:Push the limits after you've experienced. Not before.
Good point. i'll just use my penn combo then.

Snapper Snatcher
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Snapper Snatcher » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:44 pm

As everyone has said make sure you use quality gear because with the time it may take to finally hook one you don't want it to end in tears.
Fishing Victoria Species Comp:

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:46 pm

You can get away with only 150m of line as you're not fishing deep water and they'll brick you before peeling 100+m. It's all about drag capacity. The trick we use around bommies slow trolling is when the rod screams we lock them up, tow them out and hope the rest of the school follow so the hooked fish comes out to 'clean' water without any fight to get back to the school around structure. 90% of the time it works and you can really put hurt on them but that 10% of the time it's a struggle and a prayer as you feel the line drag through kelp and over reef. Also a **** reel won't be able to last at those drag pressures and the gearing will probably strip too.

Hell there's times I swear they can be landed on 4lb line they play ball like little puppies. Finicky, curious, temperamental fish

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:49 pm

Have a look at this reel. At $130 it's almost too good to be true and might stop a kingy.
http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/lth10.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:24 pm

cobby wrote:You can get away with only 150m of line as you're not fishing deep water and they'll brick you before peeling 100+m. It's all about drag capacity. The trick we use around bommies slow trolling is when the rod screams we lock them up, tow them out and hope the rest of the school follow so the hooked fish comes out to 'clean' water without any fight to get back to the school around structure. 90% of the time it works and you can really put hurt on them but that 10% of the time it's a struggle and a prayer as you feel the line drag through kelp and over reef. Also a sh*t reel won't be able to last at those drag pressures and the gearing will probably strip too.

Hell there's times I swear they can be landed on 4lb line they play ball like little puppies. Finicky, curious, temperamental fish
As Ducky said, listen to this fella....

Thanks heaps for your input mate. Can easily tell that you know your sh#t and have chased them many times before. What you said about "trying" to scull-drag them out to open water is spot-on.
Any kingie will head straight for structure once they realise they're hooked. Something to understand though, which is just the same as fighting makos is, the more you pull on them, the more they will pull on you. Irrespective, try your darnest to keep em away from that structure!!

Return to “Game Fishing”