Planning our first Tuna trip

Southern Bluefin Tuna, Kingies, Marlin and other game fish.
Clumpy

Planning our first Tuna trip

Post by Clumpy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:04 pm

Hi all,

We are planning our first tuna trip within the next couple of months.
We are looking to go anywhere from Apollo Bay up to Portland, the closer to Melb the better.

I was wondering if someone can help me with the below questions?
We hear we can get tuna no more than 5kms off shore is this correct?
Does anyone know of a good area to go (not after specifics if you dont want to share)
We would like a nice sheltered place to launch any ideas?

Any other general advice would be great

Thanks in advance
An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on the muddy banks of rivers doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Fish-Hunter

Re: Planning our first Tuna trip

Post by Fish-Hunter » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:16 pm

I personally havent caught any Tuna & never fished em , but many family & friends do fish em & catch them . Portland & Apollo bay produce big fish every year , check out "Portland bait & tackles" reports or give them a call for more info .

http://www.portlandbaittackle.com.au/fishing/index.php

georged2

Post by georged2 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:05 pm

G'Day Clumpy

I'm no expert at Tuna but I can tell you that my first trip to Portland last year around June was an eye opener. We had an idea of what to do and managed to catch our first 2 on our way to an area we knew the Tuna should be. We only caught these 2.

So answering your question about 5kms from shore, YES you do but it takes a while to get there. I'm talking about Portland.

Launch at the ramp and head straight out then turn right and head south toward the big rock, (this is the line we caught our Tuna) this a while away, stay left of the Rock and then turn right, don't try to go between the Rock and mainland, bad news if you don't the area. Start fishing from there, motor along the contour lines. This area is about 500mtrs from shore. Of course you can head much further out toward the shelf if you boat and skills are good enough.

When you land your first Tuna don't stop the boat or get too excited, chances are you may land another one within 20 secs of the first one. Thats what happen to us.

I fish in the bay and thought I was pretty OK in boat, our trip was a little choppy and about 2 mtr swells, WOW nearly threw up but didn't.

We are planning a trip this week and hope to get there Thursday.

Good Luck Clumpy and enjoy.
Early to bed, Early to rise, Fish all day, Tell big lies

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:38 pm

^^
Good luck "George" catch a big barrell of a Tuna mate . :r

georged2

Post by georged2 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:45 pm

Fingers crossed Miker, looking forward to getting the new girl out on the open water.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:01 pm

georged2 wrote:I fish in the bay and thought I was pretty OK in boat, our trip was a little choppy and about 2 mtr swells, WOW nearly threw up but didn't.

hahahaha I love it when I read about instances like this :grin: it makes me feel a lot better lol.

Clumpy, the boys down at Peninsula Total Tackle, may be able to help you out as most of the guys that work there have been out at Portland over the last couple of weeks.
They'll be happy to offer any advice if you call in or ring.

georged2

Post by georged2 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:11 pm

I thought I'd be OK but the seas out there can be tough work. I felt like a girl Brett... But in saying that, I didn't chuck... Let's see what happens in a few days.

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:23 pm

Oh i was literally planning a portland trip for tuna too! .. but imma head up north ways towards Syd now...

Goodluck GUYS!! cant wait to read and hear your stories!
PLENTY!! of FISH!! in the SEA!! but so little TIME!!!

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:29 pm

georged2 wrote:I thought I'd be OK but the seas out there can be tough work. I felt like a girl Brett... But in saying that, I didn't chuck... Let's see what happens in a few days.

I used to work on Pro netting boats, in Bass Straight, it took me a while to get over sea sickness and even when I did, I still had moments where I felt ill. Once you can put it behind you, it's awesome fun.
Hope you get onto a few :thumbsup:

Clumpy

Post by Clumpy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:06 am

Brett wrote:
georged2 wrote:I fish in the bay and thought I was pretty OK in boat, our trip was a little choppy and about 2 mtr swells, WOW nearly threw up but didn't.

hahahaha I love it when I read about instances like this :grin: it makes me feel a lot better lol.

Clumpy, the boys down at Peninsula Total Tackle, may be able to help you out as most of the guys that work there have been out at Portland over the last couple of weeks.
They'll be happy to offer any advice if you call in or ring.
Brett I will call in and have a chat, happy to spend cash in return for good advice.

Thanks so much for all of the advice guys, we will definitely leave a report when we head out.

cheers
An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on the muddy banks of rivers doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Return to “Game Fishing”