home made burley

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

home made burley

Post by Nude up » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:28 pm

With the salmon season just about upon us I used to catch heaps then using a hand mincer grind them up with chicken pellets and tuna oil put it in milk cartons then freeze it for snapper mako fishing etc. I gave it away due to the hard yakka hand mincing and now just buy the berley logs.
Does anybody use an electric mincer if so any good let me know I am keen to get back into making my own big plans for this summer.

tuna tube

Re: home made burley

Post by tuna tube » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:01 pm

I would freeze it in pvc pipe. Much easier to get it in
Cheers
The Tube

ThomasG

Re: home made burley

Post by ThomasG » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:54 pm

Hi all,

I know this is an old post I am replying to but anyway......This is how I do it.

I have a xxx marine mincer coupled to a gearbox and driven by a 1hp electric motor.
The mincer has a sausage making attachment (8"x1" tube) that fits nicely into a two or three litre plastic milk bottle.
I have an attachment that holds the milk bottle, and when full just put the lid on and chuck into the freezer.
I usually take 3 bottles each trip, often bring some home and refreeze.
When I use the burley, I have a sash cord with a big stainless steel clip. I just clip the clip onto the bottles handle, take off the lid and cut a bottom corner off. Lower it to whatever depth I want. This usually lasts about 1.5hrs although I can regulate how much goes out by cutting another corner off/putting lid back on etc.

About a 2 months ago I did a whole 50kg tuna. I minced both the fillets and chopped the frame to make Tuna Oil. I still have about 11 bottles left.
I also like catching Barracouta as I can chill them whole and just feed then straight into the mincer.

This is a very quick and clean way of making burley and would highly recommend it.

Hope this helps someone, Cheers...........ThomasG

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”