Best tide for top of wp

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Ronthefordfan

Best tide for top of wp

Post by Ronthefordfan » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:38 am

Hi, I want to fish wp in the channels around tooradin, just wondering if I should be fishing around the high tide or would my chances improve around the low. Going for gummy or might marry for whiting. Thanks

Oh from my boat not land based

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: Best tide for top of wp

Post by ducky » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:43 am

I only have a basic theory but I prefer to fish runouts whilst fishing channels. The theory being the fish will move off the banks and into the channels as they become exposed.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:51 am

Either. Fish have to pass nearby to get on the banks, and then pass when coming off.

Low is easier for navigation, but the ramps up the top aren't friendly with low tide launch/retrieve

slinga

Post by slinga » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:24 pm

A flood tide just after dark, or an ebb tide from midnightish. Trick is to fish a whole tide. I've caught very few Gummies around tide changes.
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

Ronthefordfan

Post by Ronthefordfan » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:32 pm

Tried for a gummy around Boucher channel on Sunday, was there at 6:30 ( high tide 7 ish) fished 3 hours with no luck.
Headed back in to tooradin ramp on low tide and was thinking that my odds would be alot better fishing at low ( all the fish being funnelled into channels)

Ronthefordfan

Post by Ronthefordfan » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:46 pm

Thanks slinga, next time I'll fish the whole tide

slinga

Post by slinga » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:53 pm

Stay shallow too. Less than 8m of water.
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:09 pm

slinga wrote:Stay shallow too. Less than 8m of water.
I would change that to a lot shallower like 1.2 - 1.8 meters is plenty of water for gummies

as for the best tide , there isnt one just as duckys theory, they move off the banks with the run out and onto the banks to feed with the run in
just park up where the fish should be depending on the tide and direction of flow
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:12 pm

I have fished wp a bit mostly out of corinella, rhyl and stony point launched at 3am caught fish at 10 am nowadays I subscribe to the theory there are 2 tides every day if you are out there long enough they will line up.
I fish on the banks , shallow run in tide then when it starts to run out move slightly deeper. The days of fishing the deep channels 20 oz leads in a 7k tide are gone for me I prefer the edge of the reefs off elizabeth island corals area plenty of good gummies schoolies and 7 gillers there

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”