the little stuff

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
SFP Chick

Re: the little stuff

Post by SFP Chick » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:54 am

matthead wrote:
SFP Chick wrote:We cut the rigs off, wind line onto reels, split rods to put back in the car.

Cam washes (hangs to air dry) & stores the rigs when we get home.

All done in a dog free zone for safety.

We store rigs on foam rig pads or in snap lock bags in a pouch. Takes up less room than most other things we have tried. :grin:
Learnt that one the hard way, got home from work a while back to find my foxy hooked through the lip on a surf popper, standing on two feet. Poor little fella
Ouch :-o:-o:-o

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:56 am

I leave all my rigs on and put them in the rod rack as is after a clean. I decide when rigging up the next trip whether or not I should retie a rig. Sometimes it's fine to reuse. But most of the time I retie anyway.

As for cutting rigs off. Despite having a curious nearly 3 year old I've never cut them off. My theory on child raising is kids learn very fast when something hurts. My son got a small p**** from a hook ages ago and now he stays away from the business end of the hooks. Wrap them in cotton wool all their lives and you are forever going to have to remove danger/risk from them. Everyone raises their kids differently I suppose.

TONKA

Post by TONKA » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:45 am

ducky wrote:I leave all my rigs on and put them in the rod rack as is after a clean. I decide when rigging up the next trip whether or not I should retie a rig. Sometimes it's fine to reuse. But most of the time I retie anyway.

As for cutting rigs off. Despite having a curious nearly 3 year old I've never cut them off. My theory on child raising is kids learn very fast when something hurts. My son got a small pr*ck from a hook ages ago and now he stays away from the business end of the hooks. Wrap them in cotton wool all their lives and you are forever going to have to remove danger/risk from them. Everyone raises their kids differently I suppose.
I learnt that lesson as a kid hooking myself on my old mans fishing gear

azkay

Post by azkay » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:59 am

I cut out rectangle foam blocks and wrap it in gladwrap. Then I wrap all my pre-made rigs for that session around the blocks (gladwrap keeps the hooks in place). Usually about 3-4 rigs per block. Each block has a different type of rig (paternoster, running sinker, large/small/circle/re-curve). Only take what I think I'll need that session and a couple of general rigs incase something unexpected comes by.

I have a snap swivel at the end of my line. At the end of every session I just clip off my used rigs and wind. Used rigs go in the bucket, then repeat!

EDIT: & rods/reels always go through fresh water as soon as I get home!

Just reading over that and it sounds arduous but it really isin't. As Scraglor mentioned above I really enjo setting the tackle box up in my down time..
Az.

poppy62
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poppy62 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:11 am

you could also use one of the kids "pool noodles" and cut it to size to store your rigs. :)

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:51 pm

ducky wrote:I leave all my rigs on and put them in the rod rack as is after a clean. I decide when rigging up the next trip whether or not I should retie a rig. Sometimes it's fine to reuse. But most of the time I retie anyway.

As for cutting rigs off. Despite having a curious nearly 3 year old I've never cut them off. My theory on child raising is kids learn very fast when something hurts. My son got a small pr*ck from a hook ages ago and now he stays away from the business end of the hooks. Wrap them in cotton wool all their lives and you are forever going to have to remove danger/risk from them. Everyone raises their kids differently I suppose.
Mmmm get ur theory, but. I have lily almost 3, n if i have rods in shed with hooks n lily plays with rod and hooks her self in eye and loses her eye, well i think.ill take risk out of it and remove hooks before stored.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:51 am

I leave the rigs on and decide on the next session whether they are changed over.

To avoid hook accidents in transit, and make it easier to transport, all rods are split and carried in a tent pole bag (~$25 @ BCF)
http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/prod ... 5908#Cross" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

buzztek

Post by buzztek » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:18 am

Depends..either very neatly or if i havnt caught any fish and im in a rush resentfully thrown in my bucket!!
Always regretful when back home..take the extra time at the pier to save time at home

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”