Angler fined $38,000 for overfishing

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Beno

Angler fined $38,000 for overfishing

Post by Beno » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:15 pm

An angler has been fined almost $40,000 instead of $750 after failing to appear in court to face charges of overfishing by more than 125kg.

Trevor Waters, 46, was found guilty in absentia in the Mandurah Magistrates Court of illegally possessing 145.17kg of frozen fish fillets - 125.17kg over the 20kg limit.

He was fined a total of $38,423 comprising a $750 fine for the offence, a mandatory additional penalty of $37,551 and costs of $122.

He was charged after Fisheries and Marine officers who had him under surveillance saw him collect eight foam boxes from a transport company at Perth Airport and place them in his truck.

The officers followed Waters and later intercepted him, seizing the consignment.

Waters said he had been on a fishing trip where he and his friends had caught fish and freighted them from Carnarvon and Exmouth for collection in Perth.

He said that as the skipper of the boat he was collecting the fish for his friends.

Fisheries compliance manager John Breeden said regulations clearly stated it was illegal to be in possession of more than 20kg of fish.

"These rules are in place to ensure fishers take sustainable amounts of fish to ensure there are fish for the future for all to enjoy," Mr Breeden said. :r
My Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/BenosFishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; How to - Garfish/Float Rig
Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/pages/BenosFis ... 213?ref=hl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Angler fined $38,000 for overfishing

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:35 am

I have two thoughts on this, either he was unfairly targeted, or there is more to this story than meets the eye.

I have heard of victorians getting stung, up at Lake Eucumbene, Fisheries wait until you pack up to leave for your trip back home then inspect your catch. I think in NSW you are only allowed to have 10 trout in possession, you can catch and keep 5 a day.

When I use to fish up there, the catch limit was 10 trout a day and no possession limit.

However I found that trout after it had been frozen deteriorated in eating quality.

natho

Re: Angler fined $38,000 for overfishing

Post by natho » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:55 pm

Its funny how many people play the ""I didnt realise thats the limit"". The Daly River being so popular with the grey nomads and also the standout barra destination this year here in darwin, the fisheries are finally doing random checks.. We have a limit of 3 fish per day. 3 in all possesion. Sign posted everywhere but a small minority think its acceptable to keep 3 per day, everyday that they are on the river. Be 2 days or 2 weeks. Fisheries are beginning to confiscate fish, refrigeration and all fishing equipment. Ignorant people that break rules deserve everything and more. My little whinge. Sad to see but it happens everywhere.

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”