Sandringham Rock Wall

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Sneaky1
Has liked: 71 times

Sandringham Rock Wall

Post by Sneaky1 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:24 am

Hoping to try a new land based spot, Sandy Rock wall got a few mentions in reports...
Any suggestions on parking and areas to try? Mainly targeting squid but will flick SP's too.

I've read a few older posts on this area - but have no idea if the access / parking have changed since then?

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Re: Sandringham Rock Wall

Post by Sebb » Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:13 pm

No idea, haven't been there for a good 3-4 years. But definitely a good spot for snapper around Sept-Oct.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:19 am

I’ve walked along that rockwall many times and seen some decent snappers being caught in season. Looked around 60-70 cm.
Cheers 👍🏻

Leonard
Has liked: 53 times

Post by Leonard » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:11 pm

As above it’s a great spot. Be sure to have light and company if you fish the evening as the rocks are quite steep to go down. I highly recommend longer rods to lift tackle and fish in without a snag. I was there one day on a 24knot southerly which was too rough to fish, if that helps you plan at all.

Sneaky1

Post by Sneaky1 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:44 pm

Thanks for replies, might investigate it before bringing gear and suss out parking.

Hatetangles
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Hatetangles » Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:24 pm

Hey Sneaky, I've fished there many times without any real success....On the PPB side of the wall there is just sand that you are casting out to, so not much of a holding ground for snapper , although if it was blowing a strong westerly you would have more of a chance but then you are also casting into the wind....I wouldn't even bother trying for squid there as there is no weed within casting distance....I know Snapper have been caught there so i don't want to put you off, I'm just giving you my thoughts...if you walk to the very end of the wall, and cast towards the beach you will cast in a reefy area with more chance..the best i have done there is a couple pinkies around 38cm , It's a great location to fish as there is plenty of space it just hasnt produced the goods for me..you can check the actual wind conditions via the Sandringham CCTV Camera as well

Sneaky1

Post by Sneaky1 » Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:55 pm

Hatetangles wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:24 pm
Hey Sneaky, I've fished there many times without any real success....On the PPB side of the wall there is just sand that you are casting out to, so not much of a holding ground for snapper , although if it was blowing a strong westerly you would have more of a chance but then you are also casting into the wind....I wouldn't even bother trying for squid there as there is no weed within casting distance....I know Snapper have been caught there so i don't want to put you off, I'm just giving you my thoughts...if you walk to the very end of the wall, and cast towards the beach you will cast in a reefy area with more chance..the best i have done there is a couple pinkies around 38cm , It's a great location to fish as there is plenty of space it just hasnt produced the goods for me..you can check the actual wind conditions via the Sandringham CCTV Camera as well
Thanks, the warmer weather is around the corner now, not long till it's yak-able :tu:
My landbased attempts can wait till I venture out away from Melb (without my yak).

MasterBaiter24
Has liked: 36 times

Post by MasterBaiter24 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:42 pm

ignore the outside i reckon, inside is where the pinkies/flatties hold. Never caught a squid there, would try beaumaris, black rock for squid instead

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”