Is there a flat in Vic for surface lure fishing?

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Re: Is there a flat in Vic for surface lure fishing?

Post by Sebb » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:22 pm

rb85 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:54 am
What about the Werribee river EP's are they worth a go?
Good point, never really tried for EPs into the river there. Last time I went out from the river mouth to the bay.
Had a lot of rain yesterday, probably discoloured atm, will wait for few days and might try there.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:25 pm

Windknot wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:57 am
Summer is the best time because the bream are usually spread out throughout the entire estuary and they're actively feeding after spawning. Clear water conditions are also an advantage at this time of the year.

Let Google Maps be your friend. You can check out various locations and the sand flats are very obvious in the photos when you zoom down. You can see where it's deeper and where it's shallower. You can also find the best access points.

Fish the tides. A rising tide is usually best. A rising tide that coincides with dawn or dusk is what you want. A tiny bit of wind is good, but too much wind isn't good, as your lure tends to disappear in the chop and the bream can't see it. Some tidal movement is a necessity. I will often catch fish one after the other and then at a certain time, about an hour after dawn, it's like a switch has been turned off. The bream go completely off the bite. That's the time to change to diving lures.

You will come to love this style of fishing. In my opinion, it's the best form of fishing out there.
Wow thanks for the info. My breams catches on plastic record isn't great, this surface fishing sounds very challenging, but I'm keen to try!
You reckon it's worth trying this time of year? Providing clear water, dusk/dawn at tide change. Or wait for warmer weather?

Windknot
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Windknot » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:39 pm

You've got nothing to lose by trying. I suggest that you take a few diving lures as well, just in case. You can catch bream year round on diving lures. If I was you, I would buy one or two OSP Bent Minnow lures in the smallest size. They're a surface lure, but you fish them differently to a walk the dog lure. Just cast them out and give them a sharp and short retrieve for about one second and then them float back up to the surface. Give 'em a few wiggles and twitches and that's when they most often get hit. I replace the middle treble with an assist hook which helps a lot with the hookup rate. They're a very deadly lure. I use walk the dog lures too.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:11 pm

Windknot wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:39 pm
You've got nothing to lose by trying. I suggest that you take a few diving lures as well, just in case. You can catch bream year round on diving lures. If I was you, I would buy one or two OSP Bent Minnow lures in the smallest size. They're a surface lure, but you fish them differently to a walk the dog lure. Just cast them out and give them a sharp and short retrieve for about one second and then them float back up to the surface. Give 'em a few wiggles and twitches and that's when they most often get hit. I replace the middle treble with an assist hook which helps a lot with the hookup rate. They're a very deadly lure. I use walk the dog lures too.
Yeah will definitely try, probably a bit late in the year for surface action.
Would love to get bent minnow, they're super duper expensive!

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:41 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:11 pm
Windknot wrote:
Don’t think it is under the right circumstances but I wouldn’t go fishing focused on just surface action. Keep your options open with a few rods rigged and ready.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:49 pm

rb85 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:41 pm
Seb85 wrote:
Windknot wrote:
Don’t think it is under the right circumstances but I wouldn’t go fishing focused on just surface action. Keep your options open with a few rods rigged and ready.
Yea I might go to sanctuary lakes on my yak with one rod on sugapen surface and the other with zman grub 2.5"
Just went there for a quick look, a guy getting nibbles by small breams and caught (fail hooked) a sea mullet that looks like about a kilo, big silver sea mullet.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:58 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:49 pm
rb85 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:41 pm
Seb85 wrote:
Windknot wrote:
Yea I might go to sanctuary lakes on my yak with one rod on sugapen surface and the other with zman grub 2.5"
Just went there for a quick look, a guy getting nibbles by small breams and caught (fail hooked) a sea mullet that looks like about a kilo, big silver sea mullet.
Thats a good idea target likely areas using both methods and have other options such as small vibes, chubby lures and minnows find whats working then focus on that method. Don't know sanctuary lakes so can't comment on an area but I carry a range of lures in my yak to cover a few options also worth carrying some light fluorocarbon leader 4-6lb and learn how to re-tie from the yak become knot proficient. Theres commited bream guys here like Purple5, SmokinReels and Maz who could give you better advice than I on techniques etc in conditions.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:27 pm

rb85 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:58 pm
Seb85 wrote:

Thats a good idea target likely areas using both methods and have other options such as small vibes, chubby lures and minnows find whats working then focus on that method. Don't know sanctuary lakes so can't comment on an area but I carry a range of lures in my yak to cover a few options also worth carrying some light fluorocarbon leader 4-6lb and learn how to re-tie from the yak become knot proficient. Theres commited bream guys here like Purple5, SmokinReels and Maz who could give you better advice than I on techniques etc in conditions.
From what I saw earlier its pretty shallow with weed bottom, not much structure as its man made lake with concrete edges and bridges here and there.
Yeah would love to get one or two on surface lure, might try it early morning then change to plastic or shallow dive lure.
Thanks.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:52 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:27 pm
rb85 wrote:
Seb85 wrote:

From what I saw earlier its pretty shallow with weed bottom, not much structure as its man made lake with concrete edges and bridges here and there.
Yeah would love to get one or two on surface lure, might try it early morning then change to plastic or shallow dive lure.
Thanks.
Sounds like your onto it mate keep your options open theres worse thing to do than kill a few hours working lures if theres heavy weed maybe a weedless plastic might be an option if you cannot get surface action.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:02 pm

rb85 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:52 pm
Seb85 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:27 pm
rb85 wrote:
Seb85 wrote:

Thanks.
Sounds like your onto it mate keep your options open theres worse thing to do than kill a few hours working lures if theres heavy weed maybe a weedless plastic might be an option if you cannot get surface action.
Yea true.
My breams on lure record isn't great, hopefully tomorrow will change it.

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”