Some fish are worth more than others to us.

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Some fish are worth more than others to us.

Post by rb85 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:11 pm

For the last few weeks I have spent a little bit of time in my kayak and walking river banks searching for a species for nothing, zilch, doughnuts or donuts if your a yank. Roughly 6 trips over a couple of different waterways. Last night I had another crack in what felt like promising conditions once again a couple of hits but nothing to celebrate and a few juvenile salmon unwanted by-catch hence doughnuts.

This morning I woke up early as usual kayak still on the roof knowing todays conditions were great but with low moral was undecided what to do few coffees in bed whilst reading Bugatti's late night column was enough to get me up and motivated. After a quick breakfast and deliberation on where to go I was on the road.

Arriving at my destination to glass like conditions, good tide and high barometer (Checked fishranger I can't feel the barometric pressure) unloaded the yak got my gear together and away I went. As I drifted/Peddled downstream with a few casts at likely looking snags I opted to slow troll a hardbody as I drifted down and cast at likely spots with my other rod.

Five minutes down the drift I see a little backwater with a rubble bed and some reeds, quick flick with my surface lure an OSP Overreal, as the lure is worked in the area a big boil comes up behind the lure no hookup bummer. Double back around slow my drift with the 180 drive and have another crack. Cast another boil another cast another boil cast again BOOF i'm on line peeling turn the fish peddle out to open water keep it running to the rock bed finally the fish is alongside the yak and I net a lip hooked an estimated 40cm plus EP or Estuary Perch you beauty. Quick photo and I release it to swim off.

That fish meant a lot to me because I have worked bloody hard the last few weeks it's not my first EP but it's been a while and the last few weeks have been hard. Continuing down the river I trolled slowly whilst occasionally casting picking up a further 3 EP's 2 trolling and the other off the to all released.

Things went quiet in the lower reaches searching around for no reward until I revisited a previous location where I had a few hits. Cast out my nomad styx minnow as I start to work the lure twitch and bang i'm on another EP around 35cm the next two hours were as good as fishing gets for me catching multiple Perch off the school on surface lures and the styx minnow all fish ranging from mid 20's to mid 30's and all fish released sometimes the action was a fish a cast.

After about 2 hours of action the hot bite abruptly stopped so I happily returned back to the ramp.
The first fish made all the fishless trips worthwhile everything else was a bonus.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Some fish are worth more than others to us.

Post by purple5ive » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:36 pm

That's just how it is some days. Or some weeks or months until it all pays off with a great few captures..

which are why some pics are important to me.

The sounder will make things easier for you unless it's very shallow water which is useless to run sidescan in as the beams don't make it very far..

Change of tide probably shut them down.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:43 pm

Knew the tide change/wind would have been the case was just the hard work paid off in this case mat sounder would have been a help but got results without needing it so today was a good day.

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:11 pm

Good stuff rb85 putting in the effort, pushing through and congrats on the catch and subsequent catches. Good to read and relate to those those putting in the yards, sharing the empty trips then getting eventual success

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:01 am

EPs on surface, that's something to be proud of. Not a lot of people catching EPs on surface.
One good fishing day is all needed to wash previous fruitless trips.
Then repeat.
Nice stuff!
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

rb85

Post by rb85 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:04 am

happyfriggincamper wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:11 pm
Good stuff rb85 putting in the effort, pushing through and congrats on the catch and subsequent catches. Good to read and relate to those those putting in the yards, sharing the empty trips then getting eventual success
Thanks Happyfriggincamper.
That’s the exact reason I chose to write a report this time as there’s a lot of people here who post questions after disappointment my experience here shows the value of perseverance, regardless on the style of fishing your doing time on the water is invaluable.

As for the species and location I won’t post pics or a location as the pictures will give the area away to those familiar and estuary perch are too fragile and temperamental even though they can be caught in good numbers don’t want to screw that up for the next guy having numbers of anglers in the area potentially.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:07 am

Seb85 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:01 am
EPs on surface, that's something to be proud of. Not a lot of people catching EPs on surface.
One good fishing day is all needed to wash previous fruitless trips.
Then repeat.
Nice stuff!
Cheers Seb I was dreaming of surface hits in my sleep last night. EP’s are a great species that’s for sure they go hard and are found in such serene areas.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:21 am

Good work, it's always a good feeling to finally hook a species you've been chasing for while, even if it isn't your first, cheers davo :thumbsup:
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:36 am

Nice work :) Bent Minnows work a treat on the EP.
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:42 am

Thanks Dave
smokin_reels wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:36 am
Nice work :) Bent Minnows work a treat on the EP.
Cheers mate have been meaning to purchase a few bent minnows. Having such a good bite allowed me to test the effectiveness of a few different lures even if it cost me fish it didn’t matter.

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”