Land Based at Rye

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
FishSamFish

Land Based at Rye

Post by FishSamFish » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:16 pm

I've done very little fishing land based, most is done on a boat, so I seek a few answers. (a few; A lot)
I'll just dot-point everything.
-is fishing rye or sorrentto back beach worth it?
-is fishing rye and sorrentto front beach better?
-Is my assumption that it's best to fish before sunrise and sunset, and/or, on the hour before and after a turn of tide?

-fishing the surf; areas to catch salmon, whiting, shark?
-I was told gutters for whiting, around the edges of gutters and the surf for salmon and past the surf for shark?
-no, I will not burley the beach, turning it into the red sea, in attempt to attract sharks.

-at rye front beach, does it produce flathead from soft plastics?

(I ask this because, where I'm staying, the back beach is almost within casting distance from the house!)

-------------------
would REALLY appreciate these questions answered and any other tips that can be given.

I grabbed a lure for whiting, http://products.bassday.com.au/products ... =JMSBCGBR&
I'll give it a crack and see how it goes and let ya know.

Cheers!

Berto Pescatore

Re: Land Based at Rye

Post by Berto Pescatore » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:46 pm

In general, yes, these beaches are good places for fishing, and it can produce good Salmon on the back surf and great flatties on the front, but you still need to work out the right tide, time, winds and to be able to locate nice gutters and suitable bait.
If I’d be you I’ll not lose a chance to go and try each and every one of these locations, different times, and different conditions, until I find my favourite fishing spot … good luck

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:50 am

i have fished the back beach there a couple times. i usually hit the beach about an hour before sunset on days that the sunset and high tide run cose to the same time. i start off flicking a lure for salmon. if i catch a few i use them for bait to stay into the night for gummy sharks. for king george i soak a loaf of bread in tuna oil and put it in a buley bag to wash around in the surf.and i soak the bait in the gutters. for salmon throw the lure out pass the breakers and reel.

FishSamFish

Post by FishSamFish » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:22 pm

Was at the beach, rye, back was terrible. Like breakers 100's of meters out. Swell was 5ft+ and barrelling over rocks.

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:50 pm

must have went on a bad day mate.

FishSamFish

Post by FishSamFish » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:59 pm

snapped a rod too! That sucked.

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”