If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Variable legal size limits.

Post by Lightningx » Thu May 10, 2018 5:10 pm

Mattblack wrote:Make things a lot easier all fish were all 30cm minimum
Problem is the majority of the bay trouts I will be catching soon are under 30cm. Often in the mid 20s to high 20s range and at that size they are a good size for a feed. If it was 30 I’d be throwing them all back.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu May 10, 2018 5:47 pm

Mattblack wrote:
frozenpod wrote:
Mattblack wrote:Make things a lot easier all fish were all 30cm minimum

What about species that don't grow bigger than 30cm?
Throw them back...be great to see the ecosystem recover one day
And by doing that you also destroy the Mulloway, Kingfish and shark fisheries that only just reach sexual maturity at current size limits.... Clap clap

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Thu May 10, 2018 6:02 pm

variable size limits have more to do with the respective departments being state run than variable growth rates in different states. A federal authority would be hugely beneficial for our environment

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Thu May 10, 2018 6:07 pm

Yeah, pretty flippant remark I made....how about just KGW, Flatties and Snapper then? (and how do fisheries determine if your fish was the correct size if your using them for bait?)
Must start another thread on the proposed gas pipeline at Crib Point...that sounds like a f&*king disaster in the making

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Thu May 10, 2018 6:41 pm

I don't think the duskies in east gippy onwards into NSW are flourishing in numbers compared to the sand flathead & blue spots we catch in the bays down here, might be a reason for the differential in size, as well as the growth rate of the species. Duskys are the largest of the flathead family, with the bluespot being the second largest. IDK tho.

I Wouldn't keep a Whiting, Flathead, Pinky under 35cm tbh...

cheers

cobby

Post by cobby » Thu May 10, 2018 7:27 pm

Basti wrote:variable size limits have more to do with the respective departments being state run than variable growth rates in different states. A federal authority would be hugely beneficial for our environment
Like they've been trying for years with a rebounding priority species by reducing current state enforced recreational bag limits with proposals for a payable quota system for recreational anglers whilst increasing the allowable commercial quota in a specific state by 500t under internationally implemented quota increases via CSSBT? Because a massive increase in demand for bait fish and fish meal products is widely beneficial to said states local ecosystem whilst eradicating a large percentage of economic value from regional centres in another state is a political masterstroke.

And you're underselling ambient water temperatures affects growth rates in fish. No doubt negligible when comparing far east of the state to south coast of NSW there would be some discrepancies. It's easily observed in an aquarium at home...

cobby

Post by cobby » Thu May 10, 2018 7:30 pm

Mattblack wrote:Yeah, pretty flippant remark I made....how about just KGW, Flatties and Snapper then? (and how do fisheries determine if your fish was the correct size if your using them for bait?)
Must start another thread on the proposed gas pipeline at Crib Point...that sounds like a f&*king disaster in the making
The trucking in of coal and conversion into liquid hydrogen to be exported by ship? Don't think a full EIS has been done yet, but pipelines from Crib Point to both Long Island and to PPB already exist and have done since the 70s

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Thu May 10, 2018 8:24 pm

cobby wrote:
Mattblack wrote:Yeah, pretty flippant remark I made....how about just KGW, Flatties and Snapper then? (and how do fisheries determine if your fish was the correct size if your using them for bait?)
The trucking in of coal and conversion into liquid hydrogen to be exported by ship? Don't think a full EIS has been done yet, but pipelines from Crib Point to both Long Island and to PPB already exist and have done since the 70s
It's a floating gas plant that uses circulated seawater to operate...what could go wrong?!

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Thu May 10, 2018 9:05 pm

Arbitrary size limits are ridiculous and that approach should never be used in any kind of law/regulation making.

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Thu May 10, 2018 9:10 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:I don't think the duskies in east gippy onwards into NSW are flourishing in numbers compared to the sand flathead & blue spots we catch in the bays down here, might be a reason for the differential in size, as well as the growth rate of the species. Duskys are the largest of the flathead family, with the bluespot being the second largest. IDK tho.

I Wouldn't keep a Whiting, Flathead, Pinky under 35cm tbh...

cheers
I was considering taking you out on my boat since yours is ******... but i couldnt have a passenger tellen me sorry im not keepen this 34 cm whiting or pinkie...

Im more than happy to take a 28 cm fish. Mind you i dont bag out on them.
I catch 6 to 10 a trip. Not a full bag.... Not many are 28 as i fish real area of the port... they are bigger

Fisheries stipulate bags and size limits... not everyone has access to a boat. Some people are wrapt with a 27 cm whiting off a pier..

I think some boaties want to change rules as if its normal to catch a 30+ CM whiting or pinkie.
Pier fishing is included too. Dont get ahead of yourselves cause you have a boat.

Good luck catching keeper fish without a boat if 30+ cm limits come in....

Gotta start somewhere

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”