Not my day

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Not my day

Post by re-tyred » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:36 pm

Well I usually avoid the xmas January busy times . This year was a bit longer with grandkids visiting. today was my day back fishing at last. Headed out at a leisurely 7am across the bar and out to a small but annoying easterly chop. Went west as there was a little bit of South westerly wind forecast for the afternoon. 3 Nm down the beach and dropped over a line. Straight up a flathead, just size but thought this is looking promising. Nothing for 20 minutes so moved down to a small rock and caught myself some slimy mackerel for bait. That was a bit of fun triple hook ups. Swam a livey for a while but no takers. Ok so moved out to the reef 15 minute cruise. Zippo. Moved out past the reef to 40mtrs to try for a flatty or gummy. Zippo. Headed east to the six mile. Zippo again. Oh well I'll just head in for lunch and regroup for tomorrow. Tide will be ebbing on the bar but it will be ok. About 2 minutes into the journey home and beep beep engine alarm. Hmm pull up plenty of water flowing no sign of overheating, must be low oil. Checked the auto oiler tank seems ok but topped it up anyway. Started up no alarm, headed towards the bar, 5 minutes later beep beep. Crap stopped checked everything , definitely not running hot, added some oil to the fuel tank just to be safe. Restarted 5 mins later beep beep... OK so I am going to get to the bar at peak ebb tide, the dredge is working on the bar... If I run out of power and get washed back out into the dredge the paper work is going to be a killer. Sometimes it is great to be in coast guard so I rang one of the other coast guards skippers and said do you mind bringing the boat out in case I get an alarm as I cross the bar. Problem is when the alarm goes the motor wont go above idle and in an ebb tide this is not a good thing. So after a few stops and starts I arrived at the back of the bar and stopped till the coast guard boat came out, then started up and as you would expect straight across the bar no alarm and all the way back to the ramp no problems.
Pulled the auto oiler system apart and really cant see any issue. tested the alarm sensor worked fine. ran the motor on the muffs till the neighbour were ready to shoot themselves and no issue.. Not game to go offshore tomorrow might give it a good run in the lake.. Just hate it when you can't find a problem.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Not my day

Post by smile0784 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:47 pm

Sounds like a frustrating day.
Think of the positive atleast you have bait for next time.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:20 pm

Is it fuel injected? If so then is it giving any error codez?

My tohatsu has an overheat alarm and low oil alarm but looks like you checked both those out already.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:44 pm

Frustrating day indeed.
Hope you get to work out what the problem is.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:06 am

purple5ive wrote:Is it fuel injected? If so then is it giving any error codez?

My tohatsu has an overheat alarm and low oil alarm but looks like you checked both those out already.
No it is a carby model. 30hp 3 cylinder Yamaha. No instruments just an alarm buzzer. I tested how the sensors work and they activate by providing a connection on the 2 wires. So open circuit no buzzer , short cct buzzer goes. Will test in the lake today and if it goes off I will pull the plug on the temp sensor and see if it stops. That should tell me which sensor is activating.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:31 am

What’s the engine mate?
Glad you got home safe.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:33 am

It is a Yamaha 30DETO 3 cylinder 2 stroke 2006 model.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:27 am

Ooh...that's the stuff nightmares are made of. I'm presuming you lay awake 1/2 the night wondering what's going on with the motor. Will a crook alternator set off the alarm or is it just temp & oil?

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:05 am

A little excitement in an otherwise dull day.

Played it smart and made it home ok. :thumbsup:

It might have been a blocked water gallery due to debris or salt build up.

Give it a good fang in the lake and see if the alarm goes off again.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:28 am

Just think yourself lucky your first stall wasn't in the bar

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”