Barracuta

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Toady king

Barracuta

Post by Toady king » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:16 pm

Hey guys, I hear that there are quite a few barracuta around Balnarring and was thinking I might have a crack at them in my yak. I was just wondering about how to catch them

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Barracuta

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:01 pm

Toady king wrote:Hey guys, I hear that there are quite a few barracuta around Balnarring and was thinking I might have a crack at them in my yak. I was just wondering about how to catch them
yer mate barracouta or Couta -- I had a bit of fun with them late sat at Balnarring -- set up with some sort of shallow diver Xrap 8 or 10 I find black and silver my go to colour ,although I was using a Yo zuri crystal minnow again in a black and silver on sat

them start paddling keep an eye on the rod one of the joys of Westernport is weed so you may have to keep cleaning it of you lure
I was finding them straight off the point in about 7.5 meters but they can show up anywhere

you may pick up the odd snook the same way
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:17 am

I just troll a Tsunami super minnow around. there's quite a few pike around too and I've even had a squid latch onto one of those lures. I tend to go with cheap lures because both pike and couta have pretty sharp teeth and I've lost a couple of lures in the past. Plus they'll put gouges in the paint.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

barwonboy

Post by barwonboy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:20 am

i use bait when i go for couta and i use a full garfish

Toady king

Post by Toady king » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:09 am

cheaterparts wrote:
Toady king wrote:Hey guys, I hear that there are quite a few barracuta around Balnarring and was thinking I might have a crack at them in my yak. I was just wondering about how to catch them
yer mate barracouta or Couta -- I had a bit of fun with them late sat at Balnarring -- set up with some sort of shallow diver Xrap 8 or 10 I find black and silver my go to colour ,although I was using a Yo zuri crystal minnow again in a black and silver on sat

them start paddling keep an eye on the rod one of the joys of Westernport is weed so you may have to keep cleaning it of you lure
I was finding them straight off the point in about 7.5 meters but they can show up anywhere

you may pick up the odd snook the same way

Thanks cheater I'll try that out on Saturday

Toady king

Post by Toady king » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:10 am

4liters wrote:I just troll a Tsunami super minnow around. there's quite a few pike around too and I've even had a squid latch onto one of those lures. I tend to go with cheap lures because both pike and couta have pretty sharp teeth and I've lost a couple of lures in the past. Plus they'll put gouges in the paint.
Okay thanks I'll keep a few on hand then, should I be using wire trace or just heavy mono?

magpie_mick
Has liked: 21 times

Post by magpie_mick » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:42 pm

I have caught a few from my yak at Shoreham, inside the first yellow marker. Had a ball late one afternoon there catching them on soft plastics.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:06 pm

Couta, generally speaking, are not fussy fish. If you find them, any lure will normally get them. I've had them on just about any lure I've dragged through the water. From trolled skirts, to xraps, to metal slugs, even squid jigs on occasion.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:34 pm

We caught them on pilchard tails today at tortoise head

Toady king

Post by Toady king » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:00 pm

Thanks for the help guys hopefully I'll smach em on the weekend and make a report :water: :banana:

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”