ASF Results - 17th April

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
JS270
Has liked: 1 time

ASF Results - 17th April

Post by JS270 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:12 pm

Well the weather was fantastic for our April comp with clear blue skies but no wind and plenty of spiders - more on that later.

The day started of with a few of the regulars hitting of with a swirling wind breeze that didn’t help at all. The wind was from a South Easterly direction or that’s what was forecast but as usual the weather forecast was off the mark.

Mick S, Miro, Peter, Nick, Murray and I were the ones kicking of the day and as you will see in the video clip the guys have come along very well. Nick with his new SS was doing well and posted up a respectable distance given the dead conditions. Mick was trialling my shortened E1000 and seemed to like the way it felt for him.

( A few of the guys )

Murray was the surprise improver with his new Pendulum cast getting the lead out well, the improvements in Murray’s casting as well as the other was a pleasure to see and the smiles on there faces was great.

http://youtu.be/shMBCJ2jMOk

( Video from the morning session )

As the morning wore on a few of the other new faces turned up with Allan, Tony, Ken and Dennis also joining in. It was good to see Dennis out and about after his injury had sidelined him from casting for the past 9 weeks. Thankfully the hand has healed up nicely and he has taken the opportunity to start casting with the reel in the low position.

( Young Allan showing promise with the Century TTLD SM )

As the day developed the temperature improved and the casting conditioned deteriorated with the wind turning into a faint whisper and that’s when the spiders and their gossamer webs started floating about. The volume of which progressively built up and we were soon getting coated in it, the reels, rods and line as well as ourselves.

( Yes the Spider webs did make a bit of a problem )

Still the day was very enjoyable and we were able to try out a few of the rods that I had brought with me.

( Nick Belting one down Field )

For myself I was playing with a full length TTR with a counter balance which brought the overall length up to 14’8”. I was casting the 175 gram lead o this matched with my Daiwa 7HT and was pleased with the way the counterbalance allowed me to handle the longer rod.

I later got back into using my 13’2” rod which is much thinner and lighter than the TTR and for me is easier to get around.

Nick also had a try with the rod and found it a surprise with the way the balance point made the lead feel a lot easier to cast.

Allan was casting with the Century Tip Tornado LD Super match and had that matched up to his Penn reel and the other guys had a selection of Century’s with the main rod being the Tip Tornado Sport which is a pleasure to use.

( Ken getting down the fundamentals )

( Mick enjoying the day )

The overall results were not what we had been hoping for but given the conditions the guys were very pleased with them at the end of the day. The battle between Peter , Nick and Mick was great to see and I am looking forward to them getting together again when conditions are better as the improvements in all of them will see even more PB’s being recorded.

( Another shot highlighting how thick the spiders webs were both on the ground and in the air )

I will post up the afternoon videos shortly.

Top day out with a great bunch of people, thanks everyone.

Result Table:

cantevencatchacold
Has liked: 30 times

Re: ASF Results - 17th April great pics

Post by cantevencatchacold » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:17 pm

Love the pics. Awesome distances by my standards (estimated pb distance 30 metres with a tail wind and from the top of a cliff). Beyond my wildest dreams. So how are the distances measured? Anyway.. back to practice.

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”