Hoop nets for Crays (southern rock lobster)

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Hoop nets for Crays (southern rock lobster)

Post by ducky » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:59 pm

Gonna be doing a bit of fishing in waters where a few Crays might be lurking. Just want to work out the best way to tackle this as a feed of Crays would be a wonderful thing.

A trip out with the kids today with a cheap hoop net for yabbies quickly showed me not to waste your time with the **** stuff. Both nets failed on me. Understandably the hops nets for Crays are a little heavier duty. But don't want to waste my time with crap units.

Does anyone here do it regularly enough to have any tried and tested methods? Eg what size ropes. Brand of hoop net, Floats. Bouys etc.

Any suggestions appreciated.

re-tyred
Has liked: 371 times

Re: Hoop nets for Crays (southern rock lobster)

Post by re-tyred » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:22 am

I have tried a couple of times without success. I have a heavy home made net with extra weight on the bottom hoop. Have about 20 meters of rope on it. It should work in theory just have to get the right bit of reef.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:49 am

It seems the yanks are a lot more open with advice on how to hoop net them. There's a fishery in California. My research led me to promar hoop nets as being the bees knees. Of course their smallest model is 5cm larger than we are allowed here. Haha.

I was thinking the same thing re heavier bottom hoop. One clip I watched yesterday had some 8mm chain strung across the bottom hoop as weight.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:02 pm

Good luck Ducky, Ive had a similar idea rolling around in my head for a while now, but have never gotten around to trying to research it.

I definitely want to do a bit more research into the less chased things that are around, but are still tasty (Crays, scallops, oysters, mussels, etc)

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:38 am

Hands.... Never seen anyone with nets other than the commercial pots. I do know they like a carp bait though

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”