Afternoon kayak fishing

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Toady king

Re: Afternoon kayak fishing

Post by Toady king » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:29 am

deathray wrote:Great read mate. Are these cowanyoung or scad? I thought scad were a bit more compact a fish. Either way you're report rocks and I look forward more in the future.
I marked them down yellow scad/yakkas and by the fishing app it looks correct

Toady king

Post by Toady king » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:33 am

4liters wrote:do they taste any good? I've been wondering if slimies are common around hastings and the submarine too
Not slimy Mackerel, yellow tail scad/yakkas. They taste really good, have a natural lemon. One bloke has told me it makes one of the best Sashiumi (not sure I spelt that correctly).

Toady king

Post by Toady king » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:35 am

meppstas wrote:Good to see you did manage a feed in the end, well done.. well worth the effort.

we used to call them slimy mackeral in Sth Aust.. great baitfish for snapper as well. Funny how each state has a different name for what seems to be the same fish species isn't it.. ;-)

cheers
Adrian
They do look a bit like slimy mackerel but they're yellow tail yakka/scad :-)

Toady king

Post by Toady king » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:40 am

laneends wrote:
Toady king wrote: Was having troubles positioning myself as my kayak was changing directions quiet abit.
Some techniques to avoid this
~If you have a rudder raise it. Otherwise it will deflect you from sitting in tide
~In slow to moderate flow anchor out back, drift chute out front will reduce swinging in wind gusts. Cant do in high flows or you will drag anchor.
~strap your paddle in such a way that blade dips in water towards front of yak, this will hold it in line with current. This is where pedal yaks have the advantage with fins vertical.
~ If fishing areas that have this issue a lot then you can make up a mini chute that will do the same. Even a rope would do it but it will foul fishing lines.
By having trouble, I meant that I was fishing near Some harboured yachts and trying to find the perfect spot can be tricky sometimes haha

Toady king

Post by Toady king » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:45 am

cheaterparts wrote:apart from bait Yakkas pickle really well - if you like pickled fish , I do them the same as I do Aust Salmon

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5383

goo fun catching them on light gear but the kayak normally looks like a murder seen with all the blood that comes out of them

have you tried fishing off Woolleys Beach it's not far down from Hastings ( between Stony and Cribpoint jetties ) the tide flows a bit after the drop off but it can be quite productive along the bank to that drop off - by the way it's not as much fun at low tide launching or retrieving - like a lot of WP it is muddy with the tide out
Nope haven't gone adventuring because I don't have a fish finder on my kayak yet and my friend that keeps promising me he will take me out with him keeps ditching me for his girlfriend haha

Miocevich

Post by Miocevich » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:52 am

Great report! This fish look good!

gregmaka
Has liked: 97 times

Post by gregmaka » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:48 pm

laneends wrote:
Toady king wrote: Was having troubles positioning myself as my kayak was changing directions quiet abit.
Some techniques to avoid this
~If you have a rudder raise it. Otherwise it will deflect you from sitting in tide
~In slow to moderate flow anchor out back, drift chute out front will reduce swinging in wind gusts. Cant do in high flows or you will drag anchor.
~strap your paddle in such a way that blade dips in water towards front of yak, this will hold it in line with current. This is where pedal yaks have the advantage with fins vertical.
~ If fishing areas that have this issue a lot then you can make up a mini chute that will do the same. Even a rope would do it but it will foul fishing lines.

Great advice for any Kayaker to know.

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”