Wilsons Prom / Sandy Point

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
matt1991

Wilsons Prom / Sandy Point

Post by matt1991 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:35 am

Hi Everyone,

Hope all is well. I am heading down to Sandy Point tomorrow to visits Wilsons Prom and staying for 4 nights with the misses. We are keen to get some fishing in and potentially do some prawning.

Just wondering if people have any suggestions on easy to access fishing spots and places where we can go prawning? I have always wanted to do prawning but never had the chance, so I am thinking why not give it a crack.

I done some research and apparently you can catch prawns at Shallow Inlet? I have waiters but the misses doesn't so going to have to work something out there.

When prawning how deep should you go?

Any tips and advise would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

matt1991

Re: Wilsons Prom / Sandy Point

Post by matt1991 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:02 pm

Sorry also forgot to mentiom we wil be land based fishing and not looing to target big fish e.g. kings etc

More just want to take the misses out have some fun and hopefully catch a feed e.g. flatheads, whiting travelly.

Thanks guys in advance

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:08 pm

Problem down there is access. Tongue point is a 5k each way trip. Nice spot but jeez, that walk.
Leonard point is decent spot, but again, a 5hit of a walk in, (if you go the way Doug and I did).

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:32 pm

Can't comment on the prawns.

Fishing pick any of the rocky outcrops near the beaches and cast to the sandy patches. How difficult a spot you choose to walk in to is entirely up to you. There are some nice bits at Whisky Bay and Squeeky beach. Leonard point and tongue point are both stunning but require some effort and in a lot of cases some 'creativity' to get in to.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

matt1991

Post by matt1991 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Hey gents,

Thank you for the info! Seems like it may be a bit of a challenge finding a nice easy relaxing spot to have fish.

Ill do my best and keep you updated.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:32 pm

If you are fishing from the beach I'd recommend Squeaky Beach rather than Norman Bay; Squeaky Beach usually has a decent gutter and is deeper whereas Norman Bay is very shallow and featureless, less than 1m deep as far as you can cast. I've caught flathead at both from the yak but I don't know if they'd come within range of a landbased fisho. The rock ledges are not exactly 'relaxing' to get to.

There's probably perch in Tidal River, there's certainly mullet and possibly flathead as well. This would be the most accessible option but more accessible = more fishing pressure so there is a trade off.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:37 pm

You could also try Walkerville, that would probably be a similar drive as Tidal River from Sandy Point
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:19 pm

4liters wrote:If you are fishing from the beach I'd recommend Squeaky Beach rather than Norman Bay; Squeaky Beach usually has a decent gutter and is deeper whereas Norman Bay is very shallow and featureless, less than 1m deep as far as you can cast. I've caught flathead at both from the yak but I don't know if they'd come within range of a landbased fisho. The rock ledges are not exactly 'relaxing' to get to.

There's probably perch in Tidal River, there's certainly mullet and possibly flathead as well. This would be the most accessible option but more accessible = more fishing pressure so there is a trade off.
Bream, mullet, whiting, flathead and salmon are all viable options from the beach.

Byrney

Post by Byrney » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:52 pm

Brett wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:19 pm
4liters wrote:If you are fishing from the beach I'd recommend Squeaky Beach rather than Norman Bay; Squeaky Beach usually has a decent gutter and is deeper whereas Norman Bay is very shallow and featureless, less than 1m deep as far as you can cast. I've caught flathead at both from the yak but I don't know if they'd come within range of a landbased fisho. The rock ledges are not exactly 'relaxing' to get to.

Bream, mullet, whiting, flathead and salmon are all viable options from the beach.

Which beach is that? Im there now with my rod!

ango

Post by ango » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:43 pm

One thing I can say about Sandy Point, it is always windy! Try the boat launch area, use pippies for bait, I have caught trevally in the hole where they launch the boats, also the same area but a bit further along where the channel runs close to shore, KG whiting, also on pippies, and a chance for salmon, mullet & flathead. If you drive your car on the sand make sure the tide is not coming in or you might get stranded.
Cheers.

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”