If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
repspec
Has liked: 11 times

Re: A little bit confused..

Post by repspec » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:25 am

barracouta not barracuda

couta is southern waters fish

cuda is northern waters fish.

Couta is good fresh bait, but dont try to use it after been frozen...the skin falls of and its real flakey.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Re: A little bit confused..

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:31 pm

MsShimano wrote:I'm a bit confused.. hearing two sides to the story. Can you eat a barracouda or not? I caught two decent size today but I am not sure. I heard they are good eating fish but also heard they are good gummy bait. Help? :fish22:
funny I don't mind eating Couta in fact it was a common fish in many fish and chip shops some years ago - today the fish and chip shop in San Remo still have it on the menu so someone must still buy it
these fish are easy to clean and fillet however there are a lot of long bones through the meat - easy to remove as you eat it -- so it's worth a try for you after all we all have different tastes

as for bait Gummies love it and it was my go to snapper bait a couple of seasons back - main reason was there seamed to be couta around at the same time as the snapper and in the same area - being a kayaker fresh bait like couta or Pike where you are fishing is a God send as we don't travel as far between bait ground and our fishing marks

as others have said it's not as good for bait after freezing the flesh falls to bits
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”