Learning Ocean Conditions.

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Lecterfan

Re: Learning Ocean Conditions.

Post by Lecterfan » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:13 pm

Yes, I'm not touching the other (location) topic with a barge pole, and I certainly take your point skronkman, a point well made (as per your yacht incident in the other thread). As such, I am not taking sides either.

What I' m trying to emphasise - and I concede that it is largely a terminological/academic matter, and this is where my edited section from last night comes in - is the importance of the connection between word and concept. My experience in Vic has been people can be laissez faire about the idea of 'freak' or 'rogue', but when understood as something that does happen with great regularity it can wake them up a bit. No, I'm not a politician, but I think that small point of difference in terminology is important haha. See my edit from last night, I am not saying the phenomena does not exist, but that people using the ocean need to be aware of the distinct possibility. It's not the massive Godzilla belly flop tsunami that is impossible to predict that gets many people stuck, it's the larger than usual sets that are a normal part of every tide (or even when a large vessel has passed close enough by to have a significant effect).

Side note, I was fishing in Busselton WA when the Indonesian tsunami occurred. Having only fished vic beaches with regular 6 hour tides and a difference of up to 1.5m, I couldn't understand when all the locals at the beach I was fishing (flat to look at, like Torquay front beach and inside a bay with only a diurnal tide) started ooh-ing and ah-ing when an approx knee high wave rolled in about 5m up the beach haha! I just thought the tide was coming in!

So yea, I agree this is an important topic and I am also glad to see we can read one another's posts with respect and the principle of charity in mind. Cheers.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:08 pm

Agree with Lecterfan about the terminology of rogue waves also agree about keeping the topic respectful so it can be as educational as possible for all of us.

Skronkman I read the articles you shared about rogue waves from my understanding these events occur in the open ocean still great to read about I'm not sure whether this phenomena is something that would ever occur close to shore. Having a think about the info you shared have made me realise I have omitted a few things that need to be taken into consideration such as a primary and secondary swell event.

As two swells are both travelling towards shore occasionally the faster travelling swell will hit the shoreline at the same time as the other swell making the wave stand up a little bit more than usual. This is not uncommon but usually coincides with a new swell and a residual swell event or wind swell.
The other wave that can cause grief is when tide is going against swell or wind causing waves to stand up in areas of strong current more of a concern to boaters.

Swell refraction is also an occurrence that could effect people in certain locations but would take a large swell event to be noticable would be interesting to see if offshore Port Albert/Welshpool is effected by refraction from large SW swell events.

Some areas also may pick up more swell than locations exposed to the swell front this could be due to underwater troughs or canyons.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:32 pm

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”