Cornacarpio's Eclectic Estuarine Escapades

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Re: Cornacarpio's Eclectic Estuarine Escapades

Post by ChrisD » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:31 am

Hahaha - welcome to the dark side Cornacarpio :)
Well done on the expanding range - seems you are doing much better in the estuaries than of I have done of late

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:01 am

Keep your hooks small if you want to catch lots of pinkies, even if they are undersized, otherwise they just steal your baits. They always feel like they are going to be bigger than they are.

Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Cornacarpio » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:56 pm

ChrisD wrote:Hahaha - welcome to the dark side Cornacarpio :)
Well done on the expanding range - seems you are doing much better in the estuaries than of I have done of late
Yep, I've officially crossed over to the sea-side :)

Wouldn't say I've been doing that well - I've had plenty of doughnut sessions in between reports, and I still have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm determined to give it a go. Now I just need to find 'the Carp of the sea' and I'll be right...

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:19 pm

Well done carpio don't limit yourself to stinky Carp mate

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:07 pm

Cornacarpio wrote:
ChrisD wrote:Hahaha - welcome to the dark side Cornacarpio :)
Yep, I've officially crossed over to the sea-side :)

Wouldn't say I've been doing that well - I've had plenty of doughnut sessions in between reports, and I still have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm determined to give it a go. Now I just need to find 'the Carp of the sea' and I'll be right...
Wrasse could be your carp of the sea ?
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:26 pm

Headed to the Warm Pies today for a bit of a fish. It was absolutely beautiful when I turned up - sun was out and there was hardly any wind for a change. Unfortunately the fish didn't seem to want to play along. I was practicing my paternoster rigs and dropper loops with all the old line I was finding in amongst the rocks. Learning more 'tricks' to better equip myself with the challenges that the saltwater provides.

Just as I was contemplating leaving after about 90 minutes, there was a twitch in my rod. I held it before there was another bite and I struck. On the end of it was a nice little Pinkie - my biggest one to date. At the same time, the guy next to me also caught a Pinkie, but it was pretty quiet before and after the brief flutter of fish. I decided to pack up and leave shortly after when the wind picked up and there was a sudden drop in temperature.

1 X Pinkie (2)
Attachments
IMG_5912.jpg
20170217_182711.jpg
A PB Pinkie!
20170217_181401.jpg

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:51 pm

Congrats on your PB snapper mate! Well done :thumbsup:

repspec
Has liked: 11 times

Post by repspec » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:11 am

one thing i remember reading (a long time ago) about the warmies,is you want to fish there when the power station is running. If you can get a spot that is.
The fish like the warmer water

Delirium
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Delirium » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:35 am

I must say that I find myself looking forward to your next instalment here. Kind of reminds me of simpler times when I was a kid and would load my old treadly with gear and ride for miles and back with my neighbour, just for a fish. When did fishing become so complicated? Keep them coming :thumbsup:

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:22 pm

repspec wrote:one thing i remember reading (a long time ago) about the warmies,is you want to fish there when the power station is running. If you can get a spot that is.
The fish like the warmer water
Yeah, I've heard that too...although I'm pretty sure I've been there when it is running and not caught anything. I'm still not 100% where 'the warmies' is. Does it refer to that channel where they pump the water out from? (Which I think you're not allowed to fish?) Or the general area around the power station? Like the main Yarra proper?

In my very limited experience of the 'warmies' it seems very hit and miss. Yes, there are some big fish around, but you have to put in the hours to find them, and have a little bit of luck as well.
Delirium wrote:I must say that I find myself looking forward to your next instalment here. Kind of reminds me of simpler times when I was a kid and would load my old treadly with gear and ride for miles and back with my neighbour, just for a fish. When did fishing become so complicated? Keep them coming :thumbsup:
Yeah...I still enjoy all the things I did as a kid. I'm in my thirties now and still jump on the treadly and go for a fish nearly every chance I get. Guess it is something I will never grow out of ;-)

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”