Cornacarpio's Eclectic Estuarine Escapades

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Re: Cornacarpio's Eclectic Estuarine Escapades

Post by Cornacarpio » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:47 pm

'Twas a rip-snorter of a day, so I decided to head to my new-found and favourite hole. Unfortunately, it was a low-tide when I arrived (I find that the level of the tide hasn't had too much of an impact in my estuary angling adventures so far) and the Bream weren't quite as prolific as my first few encounters in this spot. On the positive side, my 'favourite' spot was available :)

I think I landed about 4 all up (with plenty of Gobies in between), which is a fair day's fishing. 'One is better than none' is an old fishing adage that I certainly agree with. There seems to be a lot of smaller models around the Raleigh St Bridge, which is raleigh good, but now that I have a few smaller models under my belt, it might be time to start chasing some larger (and legal) specimens. The trouble is finding the time to find 'the spot'!

On the way home I dropped by the 7-11 down the road to buy a Burrito and an iced coffee because I was starving. It really hit the spot after a lunch-less days fishing. Ah, the joys of urban fishing...

:water:

Bream often bite in a particular manner, and some skill is required to hook them. As a rule, they take the bait slowly at first, and then run, and when they do this “properly” it is easy enough, by checking the line after it has gone about two feet, to hook the fish. Because of this run, you must keep a length of slack line near the reel, and hold the rod point low, so that the biting fish is not impeded.

From the Concise Handbook of Australian Fishing (1947) by “Taggerty”, pp.62-63
Attachments
IMG_5964.jpg
Catch of the day
IMG_5969.jpg
IMG_5968.jpg
IMG_5970.jpg

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:06 pm

Nice work CC :P

Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Cornacarpio » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:47 pm

A few more "Toothies" from the 'Nong today (and a Toady and a bloody big Goby).

This spot reminds me so much of a 'special spot' I used to fish in the Wimmera River when I was a kid, when there seemed to be a few more species about besides Reddies and Carp (Yellowbelly, Silver Perch, Catfish, Blackfish, etc). In this 'special spot' you were virtually guaranteed to catch a fish every time you went there. If you cast out and weren't getting bites straight away it meant your bait was gone or it wasn't in the exact right spot. They were on the bite again today. Sure, there were no biggies, but it was an excellent way to kill an afternoon in ideal fishing conditions (warm and humid). The bigger specimens will have to wait for another time...

Sometimes they will not bite at all in the daytime, but will commence at sunset; or 9p.m.; or half-past one in the morning; there is no telling. But when their feeding time arrives, they will start on the job as if obeying commands from a dictator.

From the Concise Handbook of Australian Fishing (1947) by “Taggerty”, p.63
Attachments
20170325_162947.jpg
A Toady blending into the concrete very well...
20170325_164431.jpg
20170325_164131.jpg
20170325_182713.jpg
A big Goby

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:52 pm

Nice work CC. Wish I was fishing today too with such nice weather but had things to do.

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”