PPB scallop locations?

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Re: PPB scallop locations?

Post by skronkman » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:45 am

I was just using el cheapo fins. I had to get down about 2-3 meters to scan the bottom for scallops, find one then come up for air and head back down to 5-6m and try and grab it. A couple of times it was ok but after 10 or so dives it gets exhausting. But then I'm not very fit. Looking to invest in some scuba gear. I haven't been out again since but might try again today as I'm down here.

whambamsam
Has liked: 12 times

Post by whambamsam » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:50 pm

jimmy_jack wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:25 am
Gday mate, the boats are crazy this time of year that's for sure. If you are willing to drive down to mornington pier and to the left hand side when looking out at the bay. Well let's just say keep this one under your hat :thumbsup:
hey mate - old thread but curious about this spot. how deep does it get/have you got slightly better directions haha

skronkman

Post by skronkman » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:28 am

In the shallows on both sides of the Rye channel from memory. Water from about 3 meters down to maybe 6 or 7 was as deep as I could get for any length of time. The channel is deeper and I believe has more scallops but without scuba gear I couldn’t get down there. Funny thing actually is after that trip I bought the dive gear but then I never used it and haven’t been out for scallops since.

skronkman

Post by skronkman » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:37 am

Use this chart and look About 3.5km (2.2 nautical miles) north of Rye till you see the Rye Channel. Get into the channel and then look for bottom either side of it that you can get down to and have a look. You’ll need a boat and slack tide and preferably dive gear.

http://fishing-app.gpsnauticalcharts.co ... 5/144.8162

Edit, that link actually centres on about the Rye channel

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”