Whos going out for a fish this long weekend?

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Whos going out for a fish this long weekend?

Post by BIG GAV » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:32 pm

Redhunter wrote:
Marty.A wrote:
Redhunter wrote:Gonna hit up Lauriston Res with a few of the boys for a flick and see what's goin on up there. The barometer should peak around the 1038hpa mark sun/mon, so hoping there'll be a bit of action, especially after the rain that's expected over the next 24hrs.
Lovely spot Lauriston I usually take the road at the Scout Hall turnoff from Shepherds Hill Rd which has a track that leads right to the lake shore near the 2nd dam wall. With all this rain might need a 4wd to use that track now.
It's a great place Marty, have caught some nice fish out of there. It's only 40mins up the road for me, so used to get up there quite often, but water levels have been up and down like a yo-yo in recent times, making the fishing very inconsistent. Used to love fishing the back end of the place, but they closed it off a few yrs back to log it. The logging should be just about done by now, but doubt if it's been re-opened yet. Is this the entrance you're referring to, or is there another way to get in the back there?
I learnt to fish at lauriston as a kid in the 90's never caught any big fish but plenty of Redfin n a few rainbows! My old man took my brother n I on numerous trips there! Should revisit it for nostalgic reasons! How's it fish nowadays red?
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:40 pm

Lightningx wrote:
hornet wrote:I'm going to try for another winter red Sunday night, bowl out did me in length last time so it's game on ! :Boxing:
What length do you have to beat? Is it 83 cm?
Yeah lightning I think I got 62 so bowls not that in far in front, I see a win coming on ! LOL
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

hornet

Post by hornet » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:41 pm

bowl wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
hornet wrote:I'm going to try for another winter red Sunday night, bowl out did me in length last time so it's game on ! :Boxing:
I'll be fishing it Saturday night or Sunday morn....take some gar gear hornet....
Yep I always take gar gear but I've not been stella this season..

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:44 pm

hornet wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
Yeah lightning I think I got 62 so bowls not that in far in front, I see a win coming on ! LOL
You never know though mate! But from my experience getting fish in the 60-70 cm range isn't too hard but 80+ is a totally different category :)

hornet

Post by hornet » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:47 pm

Lightningx wrote:
hornet wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
You never know though mate! But from my experience getting fish in the 60-70 cm range isn't too hard but 80+ is a totally different category :)
We live in hope ... you gotta have a crack tho..

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:49 pm

Still good reddies in there Gav, but the bows are now browns. Last rainbow I saw was a follow-up about 7 yrs ago, and would have been pushing 8lb+. You do have to work for them, but there is certainly quality fish in there, along with some trophy fish too. One of the reddies I have on my wall come from there actually. Although only a 48cm fish, the hard work that went into it made it worthy to me. Have had follow-ups by reddies in the mid-high fifties, so I know they are there. At times you can see massive double figure browns smashing through schools of roach, so I know they are in there too. Just gotta put the hard yards in to have a realistic chance. It's another one of those lakes of a thousand casts...lol.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:50 pm

hornet wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
hornet wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
We live in hope ... you gotta have a crack tho..
What's going to be your bait of choice? ;-)

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:55 pm

Redhunter wrote:
Marty.A wrote:
Redhunter wrote:Gonna hit up Lauriston Res with a few of the boys for a flick and see what's goin on up there. The barometer should peak around the 1038hpa mark sun/mon, so hoping there'll be a bit of action, especially after the rain that's expected over the next 24hrs.
Lovely spot Lauriston I usually take the road at the Scout Hall turnoff from Shepherds Hill Rd which has a track that leads right to the lake shore near the 2nd dam wall. With all this rain might need a 4wd to use that track now.
It's a great place Marty, have caught some nice fish out of there. It's only 40mins up the road for me, so used to get up there quite often, but water levels have been up and down like a yo-yo in recent times, making the fishing very inconsistent. Used to love fishing the back end of the place, but they closed it off a few yrs back to log it. The logging should be just about done by now, but doubt if it's been re-opened yet. Is this the entrance you're referring to, or is there another way to get in the back there?[/quote

Not sure if its the logging track Red but this is how I used to get in haven't been for a couple of years and I should go up soon as its a great spot and the car is right beside you.Last time I went was in 2014 and caught 2 browns to 28cm but some idiots had been there and littered the place up so i went home with a bag of rubbish after I cleaned the mess.
Attachments
lauriston.jpg

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:00 pm

Marty that's the spot I used to go in! But we'd drive right up to the tip on the right side of ur pic. I even camped there in the early 90's I'm told this isn't allowed anymore
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:02 pm

Are you allowed to kayak on it?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”