oysters

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
chris srsc

oysters

Post by chris srsc » Fri May 20, 2016 5:54 pm

Can these be found in our water ways..if theres oyster leases, youd have to think they'd be around in the wild so to speak
FISH1617 : 183CM

Salt (38cm) Trevely 38cm snapper 65cm gummy 80cm
Fresh (0cm) 

fishpod

Re: oysters

Post by fishpod » Fri May 20, 2016 6:10 pm

Most reefs in the bay would have oysters but I don't know what the regulations are, plus it's too bloody cold to go diving for them ATM

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Fri May 20, 2016 6:20 pm

Also looking for jewie spots, and land based kingy spots :P

Seriously though, I think you will find oyster spots quite difficult to pry out of people :P Good luck, if you get some let me know!

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Fri May 20, 2016 6:21 pm

We had some guest speakers last night at our club. Pretty sure they were from apyac. And have recently created limestone reefs in both port melbourne and corio. Apparently the limestone reef is thriving and has a lot of oyster and mussel growing on it.

You can't take either from anywhere apparently. It was pretty insightful. Apparently the whole north end of the bay was packed with reef back in the day, scallop dredging ****** that up n after the scallops were gone they chased the oysters..

They had two tanks of local water one with oysters one without n man they really do filter the water quite well hence there reason to want to create these limestone reefs!
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Fri May 20, 2016 6:23 pm

I learnt that it's illegal to pick mussels off a pier leg or pylon etc.. Not that I ever have but I never thought it was illegal
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Fri May 20, 2016 6:32 pm

BIG GAV wrote:I learnt that it's illegal to pick mussels off a pier leg or pylon etc.. Not that I ever have but I never thought it was illegal
It's only in port phillip bay coz it counts as the intertidal zone. It's ok everywhere else

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri May 20, 2016 6:48 pm

BIG GAV wrote:I learnt that it's illegal to pick mussels off a pier leg or pylon etc.. Not that I ever have but I never thought it was illegal
I didn't know that either! I often see this old guy using a long scraper pole to collect them from the pylons around port Melbourne.

chris srsc

Post by chris srsc » Fri May 20, 2016 7:19 pm

eddyt wrote:
It's only in port phillip bay coz it counts as the intertidal zone. It's ok everywhere else
on one of charlie micaleff's fishing show, it clearly shows him getting a few mussels from the bay to go fishing..

thanks for the info.. looked up that theres no minium size and a bag limit of 50.. ill be hunting them this weekend i recon...

i thought oysters were only available at shops...lol.. thats a joke by the way..
FISH1617 : 183CM

Salt (38cm) Trevely 38cm snapper 65cm gummy 80cm
Fresh (0cm) 

mingle
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mingle » Fri May 20, 2016 7:32 pm

There are a few places around WP that hold oysters along the shore.

Not sure about PPB - I guess most areas would've been cleaned out by now...

The problem is that some people don't know how to limit their catch and will strip the entire area, rather than taking a few.

Cheers,

Mike.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri May 20, 2016 7:40 pm

mingle wrote:There are a few places around WP that hold oysters along the shore.

Not sure about PPB - I guess most areas would've been cleaned out by now...

The problem is that some people don't know how to limit their catch and will strip the entire area, rather than taking a few.

Cheers,

Mike.
I know what you mean. Last time when I went to one of my favourite spots to fish I saw dozens and dozens of sea urchin and abalone shells. Tiny ones big ones just any size and heaps and heaps of them just dumped there.

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”