Werribee River

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
ecoronad
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Werribee River

Post by ecoronad » Sun May 22, 2016 8:52 pm

Jim, the jetty/pier itself would be fine for the mullet. The mullet usually come in from the bay and hang around the river mouths during the winter time, hence you find schools of them in the Yarra, Patterson, Werribee rivers and Mordialloc creek. They make excellent bait.

Years ago we used to eat the fish that we caught from the Yarra, Maribyrnong, Werribee and Patterson Rivers. But knowing what I know now, I won't bother trying to catch fish for food in those rivers, especially bream and mullet. Will happily do catch and release.

bilby

Post by bilby » Sun May 22, 2016 8:55 pm

The thing is, though, if you are worried about fish from those systems (e.g. mullet or mulloway) - they are presumably the same fish when you catch them in the bay. So to catch a mullet off a local pier, or in a boat and say it's fine just because it is a "bay" mullet, is really ignoring the odds that it has probably spent time in one of the bay estuaries. So if you want to be sure of avoiding contaminants, then we should be saying don't eat a lot of mullet, bream or mulloway from the upper bay, full stop.

ecoronad
Has liked: 1 time

Post by ecoronad » Sun May 22, 2016 9:17 pm

bilby wrote:The thing is, though, if you are worried about fish from those systems (e.g. mullet or mulloway) - they are presumably the same fish when you catch them in the bay. So to catch a mullet off a local pier, or in a boat and say it's fine just because it is a "bay" mullet, is really ignoring the odds that it has probably spent time in one of the bay estuaries. So if you want to be sure of avoiding contaminants, then we should be saying don't eat a lot of mullet, bream or mulloway from the upper bay, full stop.
Totally agree with you. That's why I don't eat those two fish caught in the bay/rivers/creek of northern PPB in particular. Bream especially will travel between estuaries in the bay and because of their diet and the fact that they are a long lived species, they will accumulate toxins within their bodies over a long period of time. Having typed all this, you would probably need to be eating bucket loads of affected fish on a weekly basis to have any effect.

Delthwacko

Post by Delthwacko » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:36 am

Hi All,

I am new to Oz from the UK and am taking my nephew to Werribee river tomorrow. Any tips on best bait/times or what to target?
What's the access like, I have k road cliffs are a good area to start?
Thanks for your help.

Phil

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:51 am

Delthwacko wrote:Hi All,

I am new to Oz from the UK and am taking my nephew to Werribee river tomorrow. Any tips on best bait/times or what to target?
Thanks for your help.

Phil
There is a deep hole below the cliffs, with stairs from the carpark to the river.
Main fish in the area are bream.
Not sure of "what bait" as I haven't fished there for years.
Go to "hooked on bait & tackle" in old geelong rd.. They'll help you.

Cheers
Gra

Delthwacko

Post by Delthwacko » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:12 pm

Thanks for your help!

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:00 pm

If it's wet watch yourself and the youngster on the red clay/mud paths below the steps. Gets very slippy when wet - change of trousers in the car isn't a bad idea - I learnt the hard way ;)

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:08 pm

Years ago you could get a pass from MMBW now City West Water to use the access roads of the p##h farm on the opposite bank I think it was $20 per year from memory is that still available??

adamk

Post by adamk » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:59 pm

Texas wrote:
Delthwacko wrote:Hi All,

Thanks for your help.

Phil
There is a deep hole below the cliffs, with stairs from the carpark to the river.
Main fish in the area are bream.
Not sure of "what bait" as I haven't fished there for years.
Go to "hooked on bait & tackle" in old geelong rd.. They'll help you.

Cheers
Gra
last time my mate was down there was lots of small black crabs this is a fair few months ago now so i'd be guessing those lol

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:19 am

Marty.A wrote:Years ago you could get a pass from MMBW now City West Water to use the access roads of the p##h farm on the opposite bank I think it was $20 per year from memory is that still available??

No.. Too many idiots in 4 X4"s

Gra

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”