Werribee River

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
davek
Has liked: 268 times

Werribee River

Post by davek » Tue May 17, 2016 6:53 pm

G'day Guys, Thinking of doing a trip to Werribee with Jim and would like your input,
Screenshot (27).png
Was thinking this area for easy access for Jim, what are the chances of actually getting on to fish here and how busy does it get on the weekend, thanks in advance, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: Werribee River

Post by bowl » Tue May 17, 2016 7:24 pm

Caught flathead ,banjo.....
Seen people get bream n odd gumbo....plenty of big bream under pier n ramp pontoons,bastard to catch...tho.....
Lets us know when ya heading down....
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

ecoronad
Has liked: 1 time

Post by ecoronad » Tue May 17, 2016 7:58 pm

As the weather cools down, the mullet start to head up the rivers. If you just want to have some action, bring along a heap of berley and use small hooks and pieces of prawn and fish the incoming tide for the mullet. No need to cast far as the mullet usually congregate where the berley is. no size limit on the mullet, so if you happen to catch one you can send it out again on a heavy rod as live bait or chunks for a possible mulloway or gummy or large flathead. Good luck

GONE FISHING

Post by GONE FISHING » Tue May 17, 2016 8:00 pm

I've seen a dude bring up 5 or 6 bream one night years ago (before I got the yak) and another bloke bring up a 50cm flatty. I have only fished it land based a handful of times. Take some bluebait and you will have a shot at flatties too

GONE FISHING

Post by GONE FISHING » Tue May 17, 2016 8:02 pm

It's a nice place for land based. Fair amount of car parking and it's quite tranquil. Only other problem is boats coming in and out

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Wed May 18, 2016 2:49 pm

I have a mate the regularly fishes about half a k to a k straight out of the river in about 6-8 odd meters. Does well on the gummys. good chance of getting whiting also. apparently the squid have been going alright to of late.

gregmaka
Has liked: 97 times

Post by gregmaka » Wed May 18, 2016 3:46 pm

It's a nice place to fish,but i do still do not trust pollution levels,unless some one here can confirm,that the fish in there are safe to eat. I once had a permit to be able to drive on the other side of the river,and the fishing was good for bream,always has been.

Good luck

fishpod

Post by fishpod » Wed May 18, 2016 4:02 pm

There are some good schools of Salmon in there if you want to have a bit of a spin, but generally it's pretty tough going

Mutley and Scruffy

Post by Mutley and Scruffy » Sun May 22, 2016 11:31 am

ecoronad wrote:As the weather cools down, the mullet start to head up the rivers. If you just want to have some action, bring along a heap of berley and use small hooks and pieces of prawn and fish the incoming tide for the mullet. No need to cast far as the mullet usually congregate where the berley is. no size limit on the mullet, so if you happen to catch one you can send it out again on a heavy rod as live bait or chunks for a possible mulloway or gummy or large flathead. Good luck
How far up the river are we talking about? As in, park the car at the car park near the mouth and walk a bit or actually driving to another spot?
gregmaka wrote:It's a nice place to fish,but i do still do not trust pollution levels,unless some one here can confirm,that the fish in there are safe to eat............................................
Has anyone eaten fish there and survived?!!!!

The stretch of beach which extends from the river mouth about a km around to the rockwall...is this worth trying for a while? As in walking along casting lures...maybe plastics for flathead or metal lures for salmon? I have no idea if these fish are even there (out in the open)! Also if it matters, I can't see us getting there until after the June long weekend.

Reality is we are likely to try different suggestions here and am hoping we can park in the one spot all day.
Thanks in advance.

bilby

Post by bilby » Sun May 22, 2016 11:54 am

Why would there be a problem at all with eating fish out of the Werribee? I've eaten bream and mullet from there with no issues - there's no history of industrial contaminants in this catchment as far as I know - unlike the Yarra, Maribyrnong, Dandenong Creek (aka Patterson River) and Mordialloc Creek. Would have to be one of the cleanest estuaries close to Melbourne.

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”