Gee thats a nice Tuna!

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Longshot

Re: Gee thats a nice Tuna!

Post by Longshot » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:55 pm

The sharp eyed will notice too that both Fish are from the same boat.
I reckon a Skipper that can find 2 fish that size deserves the credit :)

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:50 pm

shazzagraz wrote:Hand line? You can't be serious? A fish that size would pull you into the drink with ease. If that's true, well, bugger me!!
yup, hand line. Philippines is not a rich country where people can spend big bucks and chase fish using expensive rods and reel. They fish using motorized outriggers with long thick nylon lines on wooden spools.

How can a fish pull you to the drink if you know how to use hand line? Do you fish using rod and reel with locked drag? You don't wrap the line on your body, arms or leg! If you haven't tried hand lining. It's time for you to have a practice on pinkies this season. It's better than using rod and reel.
Last edited by Fish-cador on Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:15 pm

Longshot wrote:Funny, Brendan Wing got one bigger a week earlier. He said it took him 7 hours to pull in.
Worsteling must be heaps stronger........

I don't think Winga was using 58kg gear though was he? Worsteling probably had some dirty big kiwi wind it in till it was traced then claimed the captcha :twisted:

It also annoys me that worsteling is getting credit for fighting against the super trawler, when ever he posts anything about it. The image the public have of him is disgustingly wrong, if you ask me.

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:27 pm

Be a good supply of sashimi..........

shazzagraz

Gee thats a nice Tuna!

Post by shazzagraz » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:20 pm

poodoo wrote:Be a good supply of sashimi..........
I found it funny that they're testing it for radiation yet they're still eating it lol.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:40 pm

shazzagraz wrote:
I found it funny that they're testing it for radiation yet they're still eating it lol.
Yes!!! Or stupid!
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:44 am

shazzagraz wrote:Hand line? You can't be serious? A fish that size would pull you into the drink with ease. If that's true, well, bugger me!!

Are you serious , you can catch massive fish on a handline . we used to catch 32kg+ Kingfish in the RIP , on handlines . its easier to lead a fish with less hurt on a handline & your hand lets line out when required , i always used handlines for Snapper fishing in my early Snapper days in the late 70's & early 80's .

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:45 am

Longshot wrote:

"7 years chasing the dream. Many heartbreaking failures. 100,000kms travelled and many $100,000s spent. The ever waiting haters sitting ready to applaud every stumble. The endless amounts of time away from those who I love with sleep depr
ivation as my best friend. Then 7 precarious gut wrenching, muscle burning hours on the rod with potential line failure only ever a split second away. And most of all, the massive weight of expectation from myself and those tens of thousands who know and or follow me. Yes this fishing moment is the most special of all, the greatest I have ever known" -Brendan Wing

Well done "Winga", exellent catch . :clap: :thumbsup:

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:09 pm

MIKER wrote:

Are you serious , you can catch massive fish on a handline . we used to catch 32kg+ Kingfish in the RIP , on handlines . its easier to lead a fish with less hurt on a handline & your hand lets line out when required , i always used handlines for Snapper fishing in my early Snapper days in the late 70's & early 80's .
well said Miker :thumbsup: :thumbsup: easier than using rod. You feel every movement of the fish and can react much quicker.

For me, hand lining beats rod and reel. I still do hand lining when I get the chance.

I dont think our ancestors used Tiagra 80W to catch the big ones 100+ years ago.....

modern example - watch TV - Swords, life on the line. They hand line the big fish until it gets tired and close enough to be gaffed.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Bartnmax

Post by Bartnmax » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:05 am

shazzagraz wrote:
I tend to think the 'radiation' idea is centred around the sheer size of it, from media people that just don't know all that much about these fish & like to use that 'radiation' take to sell a good story.

The Pacific Bluefin Tuna was until recently seen as simply a variation of the Southernn Bluefin Tuna species.
However, recently it has been identified as a seperate species within it's own right.
These things tend to dwell around the bottom end of NZ and are known to grow to massive size (top end estimated at up to 700-800kg).
The examples that Winga/Worsetling have recently caught are probably fairly typical examples of that species & not overgrown aberitions full of radiation at all.
But it makes for interesting reading to those of the general public that don't know anything about em.

Just wondering how long it's gonna take till some media twat starts talking about someone hooking into a radiation created Godzilla. Pity it's already been done by Hollywood, it's deprived some enterprizing Aussie journo of a real good story.

Hey, now if they could just find a huge, Japanese radiation effected ape living on some mist enshrouded lost island & then transport it into Melbourne - wow, what a story that would make for Australia's idea deprived journos. Maybe they could get some lovely supermodel to pose with the ape for a few publicity photos, etc.....

Bill.

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”