This couta's for you..!

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: This couta's for you..!

Post by Lightningx » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:58 pm

Trumpeter wrote:Lightning probably the closest fish I could compare to would be Tailor, perhaps a little stronger -with a subtle after taste of worm.
Subtle after taste of worm... Can't say I know what that tastes like lol

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:17 pm

Barracouta used to be eaten a lot in Australia:

"A major fishery existed for this species during the Second World War and the 1950's during which it ranked equally with mullet in the sheer magnitude of catches. Blackburn (1950), a fisheries scientist, states that "Barracouta was the only species in Australia which made a substantial contribution to the war-time demand for more fish". In the late 1940's catches reached 13 thousand tonnes per annum. Though concerns were raised about stock levels, it was shown that the apparent fluctuations in catches were driven more by fishing effort and the level of food available to the Barracouta schools. Once widely used for canning and the fish and chip trade, this species is now less popular and fished at much lower levels"

Source:
http://www.fishesofaustralia.net.au/hom ... 1#moreinfo
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:18 pm

I love couta to eat. The smaller models are useless because of the bones so they go back down for bait. The big models are beautiful.
Everytime i get fish and chips i order couta. The local fish and chippie has the best and biggest couta.
Often catch some thumpers down off buoy 5 when fishing for gummies.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:21 pm

To actually contribute....

I only ate couta once and it was *ok* Probably not a bad sashimi. Pike on the other hand are freaking delicious.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:22 pm

FishnMiss wrote:Barracouta used to be eaten a lot in Australia:

"A major fishery existed for this species during the Second World War and the 1950's during which it ranked equally with mullet in the sheer magnitude of catches. Blackburn (1950), a fisheries scientist, states that "Barracouta was the only species in Australia which made a substantial contribution to the war-time demand for more fish". In the late 1940's catches reached 13 thousand tonnes per annum. Though concerns were raised about stock levels, it was shown that the apparent fluctuations in catches were driven more by fishing effort and the level of food available to the Barracouta schools. Once widely used for canning and the fish and chip trade, this species is now less popular and fished at much lower levels"

Source:
Did people just not give a crap about the worms then or is the parasite a recent development?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

fishpod

Post by fishpod » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:26 pm

Lightningx wrote:
Trumpeter wrote:I actually don't mind eating them when fresh, just got to work your way through all the bones.
I have never tried them mate. Only ever used them as bait. What do they taste like? Can you compare it to another fish?
The local fish and chip shop sell them and they are very tasty, better than eating a dirty stinking Australian Salmon, but you need a good size one otherwise thy are very bony and I might add that the heads would be my number one Snapper bait especially early season :thumbsup:

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:30 pm

4liters wrote:
FishnMiss wrote:Barracouta used to be eaten a lot in Australia:

Source:
Did people just not give a crap about the worms then or is the parasite a recent development?
I'm fortunate enough to have inherited an archive of LBG articles from 1970 onwards, over 1000 in total from a well known LBG identity. They talk about them being an incredible nuisance to the High speed metal spinning revolution during the late 70's early 80's becauce they were so damn prolific guys were hooking up before anything else had a chance to look at the lure.

Anecdotally we find concentrations of them in cold water in close to rock ledge. They aren't a bad sports fish if there isnt' anything else about on light gear with light wire traces. I havne't seen any reference to the parasites in them with regards to whether or not they are safe to eat.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:30 pm

fishpod wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
Trumpeter wrote:I actually don't mind eating them when fresh, just got to work your way through all the bones.
I have never tried them mate. Only ever used them as bait. What do they taste like? Can you compare it to another fish?
The local fish and chip shop sell them and they are very tasty, better than eating a dirty stinking Australian Salmon, but you need a good size one otherwise thy are very bony and I might add that the heads would be my number one Snapper bait especially early season :thumbsup:

Salmon are delicious if you bleed them straight away and prep them properly. Ducky has recently had some success smoking them as well, I havne't tried it yet.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

fishpod

Post by fishpod » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:36 pm

I just can't stand them, I have tried pickeling them with vinegar and lemon juice and that improved the taste but I am talking just the flavour on their own, and as far as smoking them, where do you get rolly papers big enough to go round them, lol. Maybe I will try a few on the smoker :thumbsup:

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:37 pm

fishpod wrote: where do you get rolly papers big enough to go round them, lol. Maybe I will try a few on the smoker :thumbsup:
Gotta admit, I actually laughed out loud.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”