Beginning in the Salt

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
simon2g

Beginning in the Salt

Post by simon2g » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:27 am

Hey fellas,

I'm generally a fresh water fisho but looking to learn how to fish in the salt. Where there is fish I will go :a_goodjob:
I've only ever pier fished a couple of times, caught one 40cm flatty before, and been on a charter yesterday and had a good day.
Gotten me interested in occasionally fishing in the salt.

When I begin, I'll be fishing land based, as I don't have access to a boat to often. I'll be able to get to PPB more often thatn WP, but will go for both.

Are there any books, sources of information you guys would reccomend that are quite comprehensive and cover alot of points to beginning in the salt? I have already been researching a while, and now wanted to tuck into maybe a book or few sites that I can learn from aswell which someone here knows has quality information.

Not too fussed at what I am targeting, but I think landbased would probably be looking at flathead, whiting, salmon, squid, garfish, snapper.

Once, I learn a bit, I will begin to research specific species and start targeting a single one, start catching that and then later focus on others. To learn, as I understand each different species comes with different techniques.

Also, if anyone already fishes landbased and is interested in having a fish or looking for someone to regularly fish with and doesn't mind me tagging along and bugging ya with questions :rofl: , that would be awesome! As first hand information is always complimentary to research!

Cheers,

Simon.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: Beginning in the Salt

Post by DougieK » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:29 am

What kind of gear do you have and what area do you want to fish mate?
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Bar002811

Post by Bar002811 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:43 am

DougieK wrote:What kind of gear do you have and what area do you want to fish mate?
If your gonna rock fish at Phillip island or red point then dougies the guy I can also give you tips about rock fishing and surf fish there also are other landbased gurus you can chat too first I will need to know what style of landbased fishing u want to do and the speicies you want to target cheers
Bar

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:46 am

^ I'm not going to recommend someone who has never fished salt water go anywhere near a rock ledge.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:52 am

7ft soft plastics rod 2500 reel.
9-10ft spin rod 4500 reel
11-13 ft surf rd 6000 reel.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:59 am

DougieK wrote:^ I'm not going to recommend someone who has never fished salt water go anywhere near a rock ledge.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:32 am

Get the landbased guides to WPB and PPB, those have a heap of spots to try and give you a lot of tips as well.

Coming into winter you could do worse than pick up a 902 Catana combo and a pile of slugs.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Bar002811

Post by Bar002811 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:43 am

DougieK wrote:^ I'm not going to recommend someone who has never fished salt water go anywhere near a rock ledge.
True its better to start off a pier as four litres said get the ports guides and don't target speicies like snapper first cheers
Bar

poppy62
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poppy62 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:46 am

Morning Simon..this site has a wealth of knowledge into all aspects of fishing that is available.. including mine on how not to fish....

I see you have been a member for quite some time so you'd have a reasonable idea as to who delves into the form of fishing you wish to pursue.
Give that person a PM and you'll most likely get the information that you wishing for.

Good luck

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:00 am

I forgot you mentioned you had a kayak for fishing Blue Rock, would that be suitable for salt water fishing? You'll catch a lot more fish from out on the water than landbased.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”