Port Philip bay bait

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
trueee

Port Philip bay bait

Post by trueee » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:45 pm

Now that we have in future no netters in the bay . Where we are expecting to see our lovely fresh Phillies come from ?will we be able catch them ourselves ? That includes white bait,blue bait etc I am always a believer in having the bait that the fish are eating like fresh ppb phillies chase the big reds in the spring or squid though I catch my own when successful so the future holds more expensive baits and fewer suppliers ........

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Port Philip bay bait

Post by 4liters » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:53 pm

Use a bait jig
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:42 pm

Rarely use pillies tbh. Squid, salmon, yakkas, mullet, slimy's...catch all of these without too much trouble. And banana prawns are straight outta coles..

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:55 pm

CarlG wrote:Rarely use pillies tbh. Squid, salmon, yakkas, mullet, slimy's...catch all of these without too much trouble. And banana prawns are straight outta coles..
as above --

worth investing in a vacuum sealer if you haven't got one all of the above baits are easy enough to catch - vac them down and freeze

Couta , KGW ( the heads are good if you don't wont to waste the fillets ) and fresh flat head fillets that can be caught almost every where in the bay
are also great snapper baits

I don't think pillies will go off the shelves in the near future and they aren't the be all and end all of baits in ether bay
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:14 pm

Thought a lot Pillies r form from W.A
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:04 pm

Even if we do lose access to PPB bait, it seems most people agree that it's worth the sacrifice to not have the netters removing 400t of fish each year.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:30 pm

Yeah, most of the Pillies I have bought over the years are WA pillies. in fact, im pretty sure before WA pillies were available, most people used Garfish for bait.

trueee

Post by trueee » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:15 pm

so the popularity of port phillip bay pillies ,white bait ,blue bait is unknown? to you or is just prefer other baits

trueee

Post by trueee » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:53 pm

Scraglor wrote:Yeah, most of the Pillies I have bought over the years are WA pillies. in fact, im pretty sure before WA pillies were available, most people used Garfish for bait.
Most and only bay pilchards were used in the bay long before I was around caugt off piers in port melbourne and from boats in the bay still some bait boaters in the bay but they will no longer be. probably been around as long as C.H smiths.

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:15 pm

I reckon most of the local pilchards hits the market as sardines as opposed to bait.

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”