Port Philip bay bait

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Port Philip bay bait

Post by Nude up » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:21 pm

If you come across a bait school drop down a sabiki rig and load up.the biggest threat to bait fish in aus is the geelong star

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:05 pm

Supply and demand ... smart operators will be shipping from interstate port areas, trucking from other states may raise the price slightly.

It's a small price to pay for improved fishing in the years to come without netters...
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:11 pm

I agree hornet a small price to pay for hopefully improved fishing. the netters leave a trail of destruction behind them undersize fish, penguins. I mainly use pilchards for burley .

Trumpeter
Has liked: 71 times

Post by Trumpeter » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:53 pm

poodoo wrote:I reckon most of the local pilchards hits the market as sardines as opposed to bait.
This is right, I have worked on purse seiners in the bay and most were for human consumption but also a lot got put into cans for cat food to.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:31 am

The pet food industry has done well to pull the wool over pet owners eyes for a long time with slick marketing guru's.

That false train of thought is the pet industry lying to everyone.

Cats will eat most any meat, cats don't hunt fish ! they hunt warm blooded critters.

They make LOTS of bucks from buying very cheap fish at a pittance and sold as expensive cat food !

Look at the slick commercials and fancy packaging ! Yep they're good alright !

What a waste of good fish fed to cats !

For human consumption I have no problem but cats ? Feed your cats less often and see if they eat what you give them..

And yes I have a cat but he doesn't get fed canned fish.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Tackleberry
Has liked: 299 times

Post by Tackleberry » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:05 am

i think you will find a lot of your anchovies (whitebait) and pillys come from lakes entrance

i sure as hell know we can't use all they they catch up this way

trueee

Post by trueee » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:58 am

Sardines ,anchovies ,blue bait Phillies have netted in all our bays to which netting has since been banned .WA Phillies are big suppliers to the fish farming industry .the very quickly perishable bait ,or small pelagic fish is going to be sourced by ships like the Geelong star it's an industry that seems to be supported by this federal government and state government .We as a nation do not need this type of commercial fishing . a shortage of pilchards existed in October /November 2015 as stated by Cramer on "talking tackle world " It is food for thought as to bait going to come from ....and would it matter to you ? Netting banned in all Victorian estuaries ,and bays ???.not sure about having bait from elsewhere ,due to the possible impact it had on viruses that swept through the pilchards,etc a few years ago I certainly don't want any massive factory ships in the world to exist anymore.just plain destroyers of a fishery .Remember we have never in the past history had these ships in our waters .their product is sold to the his highest bidder in the world ,research what these ships have done in other parts of the world ....it is a concern to our fishing industry and our wildlife .keep the buzzards honest especially our politicians that hiding from the decisions made on factory ships while making out support for no netting they just want votes

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”