Landbased next week?

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Bugalugs

Landbased next week?

Post by Bugalugs » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:14 pm

Hi folks, I've got a free weekday next week (20th Jan) and I'm looking at having a days landbased fishing within an hour or so's drive of Narre Warren (salt or fresh water, but probably I'll go salt) Anybody got any suggestions of some spots that I could try? I normally travel quite a few hours and spend a few days on my fishing trips, so I'm not really all that familiar with the local scene. I've got surf gear, spinning gear, fly fishing gear, trout and bream gear, and rods suitable for rock fishing etc, so I can cover a wide range of areas. I'll also visit the local tackle shop and see what they come up with as well.
Any replies are greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Neil.

P.S. - A PM is ok if you're not wanting to give away spots on the open forum

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Landbased next week?

Post by Scraglor » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:33 pm

I'd be parking myself down at Balnarrings, or somewhere around there if I was you.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:37 pm

Scrags has a good suggestion.

Grab a copy of the AFN landbased guide to Westernport and Phillip Island and follow the advice in there. That little book has put me onto a hell of a lot of fish.

If you pick a spot I can then help with specifics but you have a great variety of fishing available to you.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Bugalugs

Post by Bugalugs » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:12 am

Thanks Scraglor and DougieK - both very good suggestions.
I'll hunt down a copy of the book you mentioned and also do some more research about Balnarring and the surrounding area. Do they still have those fake "No Fishing" signs on the marina side of the pier there?
When I decide on a spot, I'll ask a few more questions DougieK - thanks for the offer.
Cheers
Neil

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:18 am

Bugalugs wrote:Thanks Scraglor and DougieK - both very good suggestions.
I'll hunt down a copy of the book you mentioned and also do some more research about Balnarring and the surrounding area. Do they still have those fake "No Fishing" signs on the marina side of the pier there?
When I decide on a spot, I'll ask a few more questions DougieK - thanks for the offer.
Cheers
Neil

That's Blairgowrie. Balnarring is a beach in the south west of Westernport bay, notorious for whiting and gummies.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Bugalugs

Post by Bugalugs » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:29 am

Ahh - my mistake ... sorry
Getting my B's mixed up (you can tell I don't fish local very much ...)

Bugalugs

Post by Bugalugs » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:11 am

Well I went a wet a line down near Balnarring and ended up with about half a dozen small whiting, plenty of toadies, and most unwanted was the small swarm of european wasps constantly hanging around the bait, my hands, my rod and reel, and anywhere they could smell what they thought could be food. I've been stung by those mongrels before and they hurt a LOT, so I wasn't going to get them too annoyed. Next time I might just take a can of Mortein as well as more secure bait containers. I also tried off the rocks at Mt Martha and the Mornington pier, but all I got was a few bites and one small pinkie.
Also next time I'll make sure I make better use of the incoming tide - I didn't get there until it was nearly high tide, so I missed out on some good fishing time.
Anyway - it was far better than being at work, so thanks for your advice guys.
Cheers
Neil

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”