Sand Crabs?

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Fredfillis

Sand Crabs?

Post by Fredfillis » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:05 pm

When I was just a young feller fishing the Yorke Peninsula in SA, seems it was very common for fisho's to have a crab net dangling over the edge of the jetty hoping for a few blue crab (as we called them) while going about soaking some baits.

I don't see that in Melbourne at all. While I haven't been "everywhere", I've covered quite a few land based spots over the last 12 months and I don't recall every seeing anyone with a crab net. Is there any worthwhile population of sand / blue crabs in PPB or WP?

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Sand Crabs?

Post by BIG GAV » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:35 am

Yeah I get em all the time eating my gummy baits I cut em in half n plop m on a hook gummies love em
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Fishbrainer

Post by Fishbrainer » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:34 pm

Plenty of sand crabs around, if you luckily you will get a few big ones but there mostly small and not much meat and even worse on a full moon.

Fredfillis

Post by Fredfillis » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:08 pm

Cheers gents. Maybe I'll give them a go then. Don't eat them myself but the Mrs wouldn't mind a few now and again.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:18 pm

Ive seen people hauling them in by the thousands down at lorne pier. Remember the bag limit is 30

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:41 am

I usually take a hoop net out with me and get sand crabs most trips. I fish for them in westernport. I find that they are bigger and more aggressive in the cooler months of the year. May/june are when the bigger crabs are around.
Attachments
20150615_174026.jpg

sarsi

Post by sarsi » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:47 am

I don't think there are many sand crabs in Port Phillip Bay but I personally caught plenty of them from Barwon Heads all the way to Apollo Bay.

wallaby30

Post by wallaby30 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:53 pm

I have had great success for them at cows pier , agree with crumpet in regards to bigger crabs in the cooler weather . Gd luck and hope u get a feed for ur missus soon .

Fredfillis

Post by Fredfillis » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:44 pm

Thanks all. Are sand crabs the same thing as blue crabs? The crabs in crumpet_avenger (nice moniker) pic don't look like the crab I had in mind.

Never mind, I just solved my own question. I had read somewhere that blue swimmer crabs were also called sand crabs. Apparently that is true in Queensland (of course!) but not anywhere else.

http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/fis ... mmer-crabs

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”