Mallacoota Advice Please

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Need2FishMore

Mallacoota Advice Please

Post by Need2FishMore » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:59 pm

Hi everyone,

I have finally convinced my mates to head down to Victoria for our big fishing trip this year (we're in Canberra and normally just head along the NSW coast). We've decided to head to Mallacoota and I've been trying to find as much info as I can on Google, but the area is completely unfamiliar to me so I was hoping to get some expert advice from people who know the area better. We're heading down at the end of November and will hopefully be hiring a boat while we're down there. I'll apologize for the questions in advance...

1) I was hoping to do some crabbing and the information I could find wasn't specifically for the area. I'd be happy for swimmer or sand crabs, what are my chances in late November (25th onwards)?

2) I'm possibly too excited at the prospect of Garfish (which I haven't actually eaten for about 25 years). Any tips for Garfishing in Mallacoota that people could give me? Should I just head into the inlet or would I be better off elsewhere?

3) In NSW we can't take pipis away from the shore. I couldn't find any reference to a similar rule on the Vic agriculture site but thought it might be worth asking. Also in NSW we're not supposed to eat them, but I remember eating them in Qld when I was younger with my aunt. How edible are the Victorian pipis?

4) I am told that I may be able to catch eels in the water near Betka Road. However this was told to me be an extremely inebriated man who kept getting my name wrong and who claimed there were thousands of eels in the waters. Can I fish for eels at all around Mallacoota and if so can anyone point me in a general direction (obviously I don't expect anyone to give me directions to their secret eel fishing spots).

5) Are there any unusual shellfish or fish that I should keep my eye out for while we're down there?

Thanks in advance :)

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Mallacoota Advice Please

Post by purple5ive » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:59 pm

coota is the bream capital of Victoria mate, also big dusky flathead, tailor, trevally and whiting are all possible during the warmer months
I really am not too sure wethere id be going there to catch crabs, gars and pippis.

prawning is also another option in coota.

its def a cracker place, and you definitely need a boat to make the most of it, although lots of landbased options are there but boat is a lot better

November onwards is good fishing down there
id really be targeting some bream or big flathead if I was going down there.

few hours further down into Victoria you have tamboon, bemm, marlo etc which are also full of bream and estuary species.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:07 am

I'm thinking about doing a trip down that way soon too. Of those estuaries (Bemm River, Marlo, Mallacoota etc) which would be the pick of them? I'll probably just have a swag in the back of the car or a small tent.

Also what is their classification, marine or inland waters? I don't want to go over the rod limit.
Cheers
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

rustychuck

Post by rustychuck » Tue May 02, 2017 11:11 am

:water: I will be posting about these places on my blog page http://www.rustyschucksfishingandsports.com, I have already done a post on Marlo and Lake Tyers and I am heading to Tamboon this weekend.
Cheers Rusty :water:
PS my blog is fairly new and will get more detailed as time progresses.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue May 02, 2017 12:16 pm

Rusty,
Please check the dates of these posts prior to replying to them mate. this one is 2 years old.
and the author of the post hasnt been back to post any more replies or other threads (going by the post count on his signature)
which means all he wanted is some info from members here...
cheers

rustychuck

Post by rustychuck » Tue May 02, 2017 9:54 pm

purple5ive wrote:Rusty,
Please check the dates of these posts prior to replying to them mate. this one is 2 years old.
and the author of the post hasnt been back to post any more replies or other threads (going by the post count on his signature)
which means all he wanted is some info from members here...
cheers
Cheers just searched Tamboon and this post came up, didn't actually look at dates etc.

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”