Access question

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Aaronvgp

Access question

Post by Aaronvgp » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:01 pm

I've been reminded today of an issue down at seaspray. With the river that runs next to it there's only a handful of places to actually fish from. One of them is a section that runs for about 100-120m where blue stone rocks have been put on the bank. Majority of them are always out of the water but there's usually about 5-7m of rocks between the water and the bank. A couple of years ago someone built a house on the property on one side of the road you access this spot on and built a fence across their property down the bank and down the rocks all the way to the water cutting off access to half of these rocks. It's annoying because the rocks go down to a bend where there's a few weedy areas and some good snags for fish to be in. Does anyone know if they can legally stop me going along those rocks to do my fishing?

Aaronvgp

Re: Access question

Post by Aaronvgp » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:47 pm

I just found this website and it shows a 20-30m area from the bank to the property is a public conservation and resource zone. So I guess their no trespassing sign means nothing to me. That site might be good for other people needing to check rivers.
http://services.land.vic.gov.au/landcha ... ressSearch

Aaronvgp

Post by Aaronvgp » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:09 pm

I don't know if I should have put this in the freshwater section instead. The river is right near the ocean and runs into it so I put it here. Sorry if it's in the wrong section.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:29 pm

Can you link the gps co ords off it on from google? If you don't want to give up the exact spot my best advice is either ask if you can walk through the property, or stay under the high tide line and do it discreetly.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Aaronvgp

Post by Aaronvgp » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:18 pm

Ok pretty sure these are the right gps co-ords.
Lat -38.37450892507278
Long 147.1843421459198

It's just annoying because before the house was built it was a paddock that was fenced up the top parallel to the bank. They built the house and extended the fence that's perpendicular to the bank all the way down the rocks and partly into the water.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:51 pm

Not sure if you can walk around it or not. That house is literally right on the water so you'll be walking through someone's front yard if you do.

I'm assuming you want to get to the north as there is a path to the south. Can you just go around it? cut through the next block over?
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Aaronvgp

Post by Aaronvgp » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:08 pm

It goes all the way to the water. I could climb over it, I just don't want to damage a fence. There's about 5-7m of blue stone rocks that slope up to the top of the bank and then there's maybe another 25m to the house. I don't even have to go to the top of the rocks, I just have to walk along them.

jsonh

Post by jsonh » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:54 pm

Hi Aaron, I used to frequent Seaspray a lot as my old man owns a holiday house there, from what I understand the bloke who owns the house is kinda really territorial about his house :(. His father owns most of the farmland north of that point and subdivided a block on the creek for him to build a house on. I recall the house owner telling people off when they crossed the fence to fish off the rocks.

It does suck that he has basically cut access off for the rest of us but you should really try fishing off the banks south of "the island". When you walk on the dirt path from government Rd towards foreshore road you will spot some not so apparent gaps in the trees that lead to the bank. Access is only possible if the water level of the creek isn't too high.

Having said that I haven't fished the creek for a while as I do most of my fishing on the surf now a days, but back then I would always bag a few nice Bream from those spots, fish close to the shore as most of the snags hold some nice bream.

Alternatively you could go for a bit of a hike and cross the creek opening to the other side of the bank and walk up to your desired spot. Back a while ago I spotted a fisheries guy catching heaps of bream and tagging them/releasing them on the opposite bank.

You should definitely get into surf fishing, it's amazing down there, though the damm sandbar is making it very difficult these days.

Don't mind the spelling from my post damm phone keyboard sucks hahaha

Aaronvgp

Post by Aaronvgp » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:02 pm

Yeah I love the surf fishing there. I go to the river if there's too much side wash and if I haven't got anything in the surf for a free hours during the middle of the day.

I'll definitely try those spots you recommended! I like the rocks because I can sit down and have my stuff within reach. I've had a lot of success at the end of those rocks which is why I would like to get there. I got onto something real big one day but it bent my hook straight and got off :(

From what I understand from the government site I posted he can't stop me from walking within at least 20m of the river so if other spots aren't working I'll tell him that he can't stop me legally.

I'm looking forward to spending some all nighters on the beach in summer. Do you get down there much any more jsonh?

There's actually a spot that is just up the river a little bit further around a couple of bends where the bottom goes really deep. My cousin pulled a big estuary perch out of there a few years ago. He walked along the river bank to get there.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:27 am

Crazy idea but have you considered knocking on his door?

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”