Any proper way to catch eels?

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Any proper way to catch eels?

Post by BIG GAV » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:20 pm

Worm under a float on dusk can't go wrong I do t like catching them as they r pricks to unhook I usually cut the line very slimey buggers..
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

widgeon58

Post by widgeon58 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:56 pm

Garden Snails either with their shells off, or just step on them and then put the hook through the body with the crushed shell still on, also seems to work, well as a bait Caught my first eels this way in the Yarra near Warburton and not so long ago when I was on holidays' at Wye River on the Surf Coast, caught some more actually in the Wye River again using garden snails for bait.

mcmonier

Post by mcmonier » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:56 pm

I use the cheapest bit of steak from coles for bait, throw out a few small chunks for burley.

9/10 they will swallow the hook, and once hooked they will try anything to snag you up, or chew through your leader.

I use heavy mono leader, let them take the bait and then try keep them off the bottom/away from any snag. This is only half the battle, they have no problem trying to escape on land either.

Land them, whack them on the tail, this will stun them, then off with their heads!

Don't bother with a net, they just slime it up and they will squeeze through!!

They are tough and incredibly slimy critters, and you shouldn't have too much difficulty finding them in your local river/creek/dam. It's amazing how far inland they come. Fishing after rain or at dusk should improve your chances but can easily be caught during the day.

Great saltwater bait, very tough and stays on the hooks well, especially with skin on.

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”