Marine fish stocking!

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Marine fish stocking!

Post by Nude up » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:44 am

I am with the more launching facilities and more land based options around the bay speed up getting rid of the netters more artificial reefs and fads off shore. but more jewies would be nice.

matt1991

Post by matt1991 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:28 am

Would love them to stock up on white pointers and grey nurse sharks. Sharks play a big part in our eco system and it would be great to get these awesome creatures out of the endangered list.

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:19 am

The option of where you would like to see your licence fees at work would be great! Even with an option of fish stocking or artificial reefs etc if u got to choose where your money went I'd happily pay more for a licence hell I'd even donate
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:24 am

Yeah that would be good, just a check box when you buy a licence or something to gauge people's priorities. For example would it be the best use of licencee's money to spend a heap of it on boat ramps and artificial reefs several kilometers offshore on the west side of the bay if it turns out that 80% of licensed fishos are landbased on the east side of the bay.

That way the money would be directed at the infrastructure people use most and we'd all get better bang for our buck.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:24 pm

Yeah, even if it wasn't you choosing where ur money went, at least they would have a good cross section of data to spend money where the majority of people want it, but would still be able to invest in less frequented areas that needed some love too. Otherwise people that live in regional areas risk losing out on facilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scraglor

Post by Scraglor » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:24 pm

Also, I'm putting my vote in for jewies to be stocked into sawtells inlet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simord

Post by simord » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:53 pm

Harlequin fish ! present in the bay at settlement sadly m.i.a , living in South Australia now . Croweaters kept some sea grass ;and stopped divers, netters rec's taking them all . Hey what about some more gummies !

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:06 pm

Scraglor wrote:Also, I'm putting my vote in for jewies to be stocked into sawtells inlet.
They're already there, along with every creek mouth and river in WP bay. There's been some cracking Jews caught from the lake area at Sawtells, along with plenty of smaller models.

Scraglor

Post by Scraglor » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:55 pm

Hehe yeah, I was just thinking of the fishing there if it was stocked. To be honest, I have been a bit lazy and tend not to bother chucking out a livey when Im collecting mullet there.

Aaron75
Has liked: 68 times

Post by Aaron75 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:05 pm

You need to remember that each female fish produces millions and millions of offspring throughout her life, there are PLENTY of fish in the sea. How many of those offspring survive though, depends on a couple of things - food available, predator population and habitat etc. The better the habitat, and the more food is available, the more offspring will survive.

If you introduce more of a particular species, without making the environment more favourable to individuals' survival, I think the population of that species will simply gravitate back to exactly where it is now. Introduced individuals will compete with wild-born individuals for food and habitat, in the long term the population wont change.

The only way to make real change to the population of a species is to encourage the survival of more young, by improving the habitat of both that species and the species it feeds on. That means more artificial reefs etc, with maybe a thunderdome-type physical barrier over smallish concrete pads giving young fish a place safe from fishing and large predators. A few thousand of those scattered around the bay would make a real, lasting difference to fish populations IMO

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”