Marine fish stocking!

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Rod Bender

Marine fish stocking!

Post by Rod Bender » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:01 pm

Hi peoples
I was a bit slow noticing this but from the VRFish Facebook page...they are after peoples ideas on stocking marine waters! I would have thought the stocked fish would just swim away but hey, maybe they wont! For those on Fb, the post was done on July 22nd if you want to find the post and comment. https://www.facebook.com/VrFish?fref=ts

For those not on Facebook, not sure but if you find the VRFish web page they may have a link where you can comment.
cheers
Jim
Attachments
VRFish.PNG
VRFish.PNG (38.48 KiB) Viewed 617 times
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: Marine fish stocking!

Post by DougieK » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:04 pm

The answer is Jewies and the location is every single estuary from the prom to the border.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:31 pm

What a ripper idea :thumbsup: They should start with trout,then work theIr way up.

Like bender, I'm a bit concerned that the stocked fish may swim away,and i'd hate to think my licence fee $$ are contributing to improving fishing in Tasmania or New Zealand, but it's worth a try.

If they can prove it work's and the fish do hang around after release,then go for it.

Be good to see the endangered white pointer returned to the bay's.Stricktly c&r of course but a great opportunity for the beach & boat fisho to do some game fishing & would eventually get rid of the annoying surfer's,kayakers & jet skier's from the bay's :banana:

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:51 pm

We'll when Jews grow to adult size don't the live in the bay? I've never heard of people getting them offshore but I'm sure others might have.. I think it's a good idea!
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:52 pm

drew 2 wrote:What a ripper idea :thumbsup: They should start with trout,then work theIr way up.

Like bender, I'm a bit concerned that the stocked fish may swim away,and i'd hate to think my licence fee $$ are contributing to improving fishing in Tasmania or New Zealand, but it's worth a try.

If they can prove it work's and the fish do hang around after release,then go for it.

Be good to see the endangered white pointer returned to the bay's.Stricktly c&r of course but a great opportunity for the beach & boat fisho to do some game fishing & would eventually get rid of the annoying surfer's,kayakers & jet skier's from the bay's :banana:
You forgot mangy cats :icon_lolz: :thumbsup:
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:00 pm

Marine fish stocking is pretty stupid imo

Unless you can prove they stay....not sure how though
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:03 pm

barra mick wrote:...........................................

Unless you can prove they stay....not sure how though
Do a trial run...if a gazillion people suggest Mulloway to be stocked then release some with tracking devices. See what they do. If they do stay put, then try it on a larger scale....and hope the majority of released fish do what the minority did! :)
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:16 pm

I would have thought the more baitfish in the bays, the more predatory fish chasing them around. Im not sure how you do that, maybe more structure to hold schools of fish?

I am sure some species dont migrate as far as others, and even if they do, I guess re-stocking fish just to replace a fraction of the ones we pull out between the rec fishers and commercial fishers cant be a bad thing even if they do migrate elsewhere, they would still be helping improve the fish stocks when they came back to the bays to spawn.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:28 pm

What abt more structure instead....
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:30 pm

Not much point in stocking them if there isn't enough food for them, they'll just die or move away. Artificial reefs would be a good start, especially in areas with less natural structure like off Werribee.

Not much point in restocking while the netters are still active either, so maybe the best thing is to focus on building reefs and getting the shellfish beds back and see what happens to the fish stocks once the netting stops. We might find that with them no longer taking fish out of the bay the stocks increase well enough on their own.

Having said that, Port Phillip Bay could use a marlin fishery...
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”