Preparation

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Preparation

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:03 pm

Once upon a time all I had to do was pick up the boxes, and bags and stick them into the car, attach the boat and off I'd go.

Now I have gear scattered all over the place, from fishing gear, to camping gear and it takes a huge effort to find all the bits and pieces of camping gear, and fishing gear for the type of fishing I am planning to do. Local trips are not a problem, it is when I am going away.

Once fishing was simple, trout fishing, bait, fly or trolling. Now I have added various salt water species, which often means different gear, different techniques and not necessarily different tactics.

Have yet to work out a system that makes things easier, never mind that I procrastinated in putting new tyres on the boat trailer and repacking the wheel bearings. The only way I can figure out that prevents grease from getting all over the place is to pay someone else to repack the wheel bearings. Nor fixing the water leak where the transducer for the sounder is attached.

Finally got most of these jobs done.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: Preparation

Post by DougieK » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:06 pm

Planning is 90 percent of the task in my opinion.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:29 pm

My car is a mobile tackle box, at any given time there are 3 different rods in there with all the tackle i need.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:31 pm

Yeah.....three.....
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:51 pm

Haha. I'm cruising around with a travel rod in the boot with a luvias in a case that I haven't had the time or the inclination to use since I bought it.

I have found a bit of joy recently in packing light for a session. On trout close I fished a river with no backpack. Just had a leatherman. A small spool of leader and a small container with 4 lures in it. I didn't need any more than that.

Similarly I've recently condensed all of my fishing gear into a shelf in the cupboard. It's amazing how much you can fit into Plano cases when it's all out of the packets. Now it's just a matter of grabbing the relevant Plano cases for the day and chucking them in the boat. Before hooking it up. One day I'll have my shed so the boat is in dry storage fully rigged and ready to go but until then I'm stuck with the 30 minute setup the night before.

The best thing I ever did was teach the kids not to touch my rods. I've got a 4yo and an 18 month old and can rig half a dozen rods in a the lounge room prior to a session without them touching them.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:00 pm

I agree planning is the key I generally decide where I am going to fish and for what then load the boat accordingly. I have different rods and reels for ppb and wpb not to mention the game fishing gear.
Some gear lives on the boat permanently soft plastics, sinkers and rigs and I pack gear in different holdalls no point taking all the crimps and heavy leaders when fishing in the bay. With my boat I do all the maintenance myself and personally love it I do the wheel bearings once a year remove clean inspect replace or repack it takes one day but you get peace of mind all year I generally do it in feb in the warmer weather. This year I commented to a mate that one tyre out of 5 was an original guess what on the way back from bermie at moe that tyre let go.
I must admit occasionally I have left some gear behind and cursed myself
Attachments
14346317410820.jpg
14346317410820.jpg (100.41 KiB) Viewed 798 times

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:38 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote: it takes a huge effort to find all the bits and pieces of camping gear, and fishing gear for the type of fishing I am planning to do. Local trips are not a problem, it is when I am going away.
Yes I find much the same Wolly local fishing is not normaly a problem with most of my gear for Westernport or the Gay bay in the trailer or on the kayak
Camping I aways have to pull stuff out and find where it's been hidden - That I hope will change in the near future as I plan to make up Camp trailer

with other forms of fishing ether fresh land based finding gear I dont use offen or Kayaking off shore ( something a few of us have been working towards ) sets up a whole new set off problems like where to store the extra safety gear - different fishing equipment and of cause more work and effort needs to be spent on fitness
Not to mention the extra time spent checking the weather forecasts and off shore reports
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

George7

Post by George7 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:55 pm

I definetly agree that to be successful at fishing you must plan properly.

All my fishing expeditions where i go out half assed and haven't planned, i kinda go out with the attitude that im already going to get nothing. Im fighting a losing battle.

When i prepare myself, plan where and when and how, i have an attitude of 'how many will i catch', ' how will i transport them home' and 'how am i going to eat them'.

I also believe the prep and excitement before a fishing trip is all part of the fun.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:43 pm

I enjoy the preparation, working on the boat, tying rigs, working on gear, setting up your tackle boxes, etc. I try and do as much as I can off the water to maximise my time on the water. I can only fish on the weekends so I need to make the most of them (apart from a couple of walks down the pier after work to see if the sambos are about)

To be honest, it's the next best thing to actually fishing, stuffing around with ur gear haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”