pike / snook

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: pike / snook

Post by Lightningx » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:24 am

Saw a guy slow trolling a white bait hooked through the eye up and down along the pier at corinella. He didn't get any that night but told me it's worked for him in the past. I could see the huge pike down there but they just weren't taking anything that night.

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:41 am

im gona try some small sp one night

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:45 am

I find that often when you can see the fish they don't take anything. Where have you been targeting them?

Buckle&scream

Post by Buckle&scream » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:05 pm

vinhii wrote:im gona try some small sp one night
I get them fairly often on the boat while drifting and working 3" minos for pinkies and flathead in the shallows, although I don't work the top coloum of water but if I did id most likely catch more snook, I usually get the snook as the jig drops just watch your line, usually I'll hook the snook with in the first few seconds of the jig head hiting the water and starting to sink. I've seen few landed by accident on the pier from people bringing there line in to check the bait and they just jump on. Try a small bibed hard body that dives to about half a meter to a meter max spin that around the pier that should do the job. Good luck!

drewb

Post by drewb » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:11 pm

I've caught a few off the beach on squidgy wrigglers and flick baits land based around Flinders, they weren't too fussy on those occasions.

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:42 pm

ok wow , thanks guys def will try them both out !

drewb

Post by drewb » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:05 pm

DougieK wrote:Salmon slugs. Halco twisters specifically but busted 45's have been doing the damage since i've started using them.
Do you rate the busted metals Dougie? I'm looking at buying some braid off that guy and those metals look pretty cool. Do you use the one with the fixed hook or the one with the line running through?

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:26 pm

drewb wrote:
DougieK wrote:Salmon slugs. Halco twisters specifically but busted 45's have been doing the damage since i've started using them.
Do you rate the busted metals Dougie? I'm looking at buying some braid off that guy and those metals look pretty cool. Do you use the one with the fixed hook or the one with the line running through?

I just posted in another thread that i'll never buy an aftermarket braid that's not Tasline Elite again. That stuff is freaking phenomenal. Using the 40lb on a clash 6000 for kings and the 12lb on a cabo 40 for salmon.

The lures are very good as well. They fly dead straight through the air have a narrow action on the fast retrieve and leave a bubble trail ala a williamsons jet popper. I use both the 45's and the 75's.

The 'barret' lure he makes is the through rigged one, i have two of them and have never had any problems, however one member had some issues with them busting off. I use a large glow bead between the lure and the hook to stop the metal hitting the knot, and on the 45's use an inline single 4/0 but you could go as small as a 2/0.

I didn't buy into Franks marketing for a long time, now i'm using his lures, braid, gaff, pulley beads, impact clips, balloon bobbins......etc. It's pricey but it's worth it.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

flat head

Post by flat head » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:57 am

vinhii wrote:does anyone on here deliberately target them?!?! i swear i been out chasing squid and each time i seen couple of massive ones splashing around!

question is , how do i target them? "duel: SP? HB? lil insight or help is much appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
I have targeted snook as a sport fish, on the south coast of WA and also near Rabbit Island just off Wilson's prom. The following have worked well for me in the past:

Slow trolling (4kts) and casting chrome slices of around 45g (Twisties, Spanyid, Pelacus sea iron). A treble hook dressed with red feathers seems to increase the bite rate. Sometimes they annhilate the lure, but when the bite is more tentative a few pauses seem to illicit strikes- it's a handy trick when casting and you can see the fish following the lure towards the boat.

Casting Sebile Bonga Minnows at dawn and dusk. Erratic walk the dog surface retrieve. The snook will often get airborne to hit the lure. Works well in shallower water over weed patches- the typical place where one usually targets squid. Much fun!

Casting and slow trolling Sebile magic swimmers. Black back over silver/gold belly works well..

Trolling Dr Hook School Bully- the mackerel pattern seems to get the most strikes. Pilchard pattern also works.

I've even had one silly fish commit suicide on a trolled 45g Nomad Mad Scad!

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:45 am

Ive caught one at werrible south

On like a flashy sliver sppon ttype lure
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”