Specialty Fishing

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Specialty Fishing

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:23 am

seephil wrote:Thanks Wolly. Never knew they needed to be handled like so. No wonder I've seen rags used to hold the gars when people used them for live bait.
Would love to target them one day maybe with my little nephews and niece.
It is my understanding that the gars are around now, so now is the time to go. It can take a while to learn the technique.

Floats, a variety of floats can be used from pencil, quill. The important thing is too add enough weight (usually spilt shot) that the tip of the float is just above the water.

Hooks, size 10-12 long shank or kirby.

Line about 6lb (Gars can be very finicky)

Bait, silver fish, prawn, small pieces of squid, pudding, (pudding is flour and various experimental ingredients)

Burly, fine burley is necessary ( I think you will find various recipes on this site)

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:59 am

We both need more gear ducky....

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:01 am

Wow gear.

Pretty much all of my saltwater fish get caught on either a 3-6 impact nano witha 2500 sienna or a 902 T-curve (up until recently catana) with a 4000 pflueger.

I have other outfits. I have a 10-15 13foot for big fish, and a 1-3 for trout streams as well as half a dozen other assorted rods in between but there isn't really much I want to do that I can't on one of those two outfits.

Disclaimer. Land based in Victoria. If I were to head up the coast again which I will I would be investing in a few other things.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:53 am

My whiting set up seems to get a lot of pinkies and flatheads as bycatch so I just stick with that. Other than those three and gummies I'm not sure what else commonly found in the bay is worth eating.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”